ST. MARTIN DE PORRES PROVINCE
LIVES OF THE BRETHREN 1993-1997
THE LIVES OF THE BRETHREN
Appendix XIV contains brief biographies of all the friars of the Province who have died since the Third Provincial Chapter.
Masterson, John Gerald August 27, 1993 O'Brien, John Pius October 1, 1993 Dennis, Warren Bede November 12, 1993 Wyss, Joseph Melchior (Anthony) January 18, 1994 Fandal, Damian Callery April 22, 1994 Barron, William Robert May 21, 1994 Hoppe, Henry Joseph August 30, 1994 O'Connell, John Edmund December 27, 1994 si Ho, Louis Abraham Thuyen February 2, 1995 Curtis, Leonard Edward November 17, 1995 Collins, Clement Eugene December 10, 1995 Martin, Thomas William December 16, 1995 Masterson, Reginald R. March 28, 1996 McHatton, James Stanislaus June 16, 1997 Lister, Quentin Alfred August 16, 1997
John Gerald Masterson
1916 - 1993
John Gerald Masterson was born May 22, 1916 in Omaha, NE, of John and Genevieve Schifferle Masterson. John attended grammar school at Holy Angels in Omaha, and high school at Creighton Prep, Omaha. He then went on to study at Providence College, Providence, RI, from 1933-35. He spent that time at Providence in preparation for entrance into the Dominican novitiate at St. Rose, KY, in 1935. He made his first profession at St. Rose in 1936, and his solemn profession on August 16, 1939, at the Dominican summer camp in Menominee, MI. John was ordained to the priesthood at the Dorrvnican House of Studies, River Forest, IL, on June 11th, 1942.
John was sent by his superiors to Washington, DC, for three years of graduate study at Catholic University from 1943 to 1946. He then devoted 36 years of his life to teaching on the college and high school levels. Among the colleges at which he served as professor were the following: Edgewood College, Madison, WI and Ursuline College in New Orleans. John also taught at Trinity High School, River Forest, IL, and at Edgewood High School, Madison, WI.
However, John's longest period of teaching was at his beloved St. Mary's Dominican College in New Orleans. For 30 years of generous and unflagging service John gave of himself to serving the Sisters,' staff and students. John served the Sisters and the staff from 1947 until his retirement in 1982. He loved and served all of them and they loved him.
Those who had the privilege and the joy of living with John will readily attest how generous he was with his time, talents and with himself toward others. John had a great sense of humor; he loved jokes and loved to share them with others. Toward the end of his life he suffered from poor health for a number of years and bore this heavy cross with truly edifying patience.
John died in New Orleans on August 27, 1993, and the Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated for his eternal peace and joy at St. Dominic's church there on August 30, 1993. He was buried at the Dominican friars' plot in Rosaryville, LA.
John Pius O'Brien
1932 - 1993
John Edward O'Brien was born in Fall River, MA, on May 9, 1932 of Thomas O'Brien and Mary O'Malley O'Brien. He was the third of five children with two brothers and two sisters.
He was educated at St. Raymond's parish school, Providence, RI, and St. Raphael Academy, Pawtucket, then attended Providence College where he earned his Bachelor's degree in 1954.
In 1952, after his second year at Providence, he entered St. Joseph's Province and began his novitiate at Dover, MA, taking the name Pius in religion. He made first profession in 1953 and was ordained to the priesthood June 5, 1959 in Washington, DC.
Having completed theology in 1960, he was assigned as a missionary to Pakistan where he served in various parishes in the diocese of Multan until 1972. Then he returned to the U. S. where he was a pastor at Kingstree, SC, from 1972 to 1974. He was then a hospital chaplain in New York City until he took a year of Clinical Pastoral Education in 1977-78 at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Washington, DC. That completed, he became a hospital chaplain in Columbia, SC, and opted to join the new Province of St. Martin de Porres in 1979.
In the Southern Province at various times he was pastor at Holy Cross parish, Atlanta, and associate pastor at St. Philip Benizi, Jonesboro, both in Georgia. In Nashville, TN, and in Columbia, SC, he was also hospital chaplain and alcoholism counsellor. In April 1991, he joined a new mission begun by St. Joseph Province in Kenya, Africa. He was assigned to St. Joseph Province and was sent to the Ukweli Reflection Center in Kisumu, Kenya, where he was chaplain to the sisters at the retreat center and itinerant preacher until April 1993.
Bad health forced his return to the U.S. where he was diagnosed as having cancer and was reassigned to the Southern Province. He had spent his last months in Our Lady of Perpetual Help Home, Atlanta, GA, cared for by the Dominican Sisters. There he died on October 1, 1993 at the age of 61.
John Pius began his active priestly ministry as a missionary in Pakistan and he closed that ministry in Kenya, Africa. In between those years on the foreign missions, he served in parishes and hospitals, bringing through his priestly ministry and counselling ability the grace of Christ to many people.
Warren Bede Dennis
1924 - 1993
Bede Dennis was born in Delaware, OH on December 13, 1924 to Guy and Ellen Warren Dennis. Bede attended St. Mary's Elementary School and St. Mary's High School in Delaware, graduating in 1942. He entered the U.S. Marines in 1944, became a radio operator and saw action in the battles of Saipan and and Okinawa. After leaving the Marines he studied at Ohio Wesleyan University where he obtained a B.A. and went for further studies to the University of Chicago where he obtained an M.A.
He entered the Dominican novitiate of St. Joseph's Province at Dover, MA, taking the religious name of Bede, a name which he preferred to use for the rest of his life. He made first profession in 1952 at Dover, made his solemn religious profession at Seabright, NJ, in 1955 and was ordained to the priesthood on June 5, 1958 in Washington, DC.
Bede had a varied career. He labored for 15 years (1958 to 1973) at a very difficult mission in Pakistan. On his return to the United States, Bede joined the mission band of the Dominican Preachers Team with headquarters in Wheeling, WV, and while there he joined the newlyformed Southern Dominican Province in 1979. He moved with the Preaching Team to Little Rock, AR, in 1980 and then to Rosedale, MS in 1985. He continued preaching throughout the south and southeast until 1991 when he was assigned to St. Peter's Church in Memphis, TN. While he continued his preaching of missions and retreats, he was also made associate pastor of St. Peter's Church.
Bede remained a missionary at heart. He spent 15 long years in some of the poorest missions in Pakistan, a country almost completely Muslim where severe restrictions were placed on missionaries regarding conversions. This love for the missions continued to assert itself in his many years of service in the home missions of our own country.
During the last few years of his life, Bede suffered from poor health but bore it patiently and uncomplainingly. Bede died on November 12, 1993 in Memphis; the Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated for him at St. Peter's Church, Memphis. Bede was truly a lifelong and dedicated missionary of the Lord.
Joseph Melchior (Anthony) Wyss
1916 - 1994
Joseph Melchior Anthony Wyss was born April 10, 1916, in San Francisco, CA, son of the late Alfred P. and Pauline Schmitz Wyss. Of the three children in the family, his sister and his brother had already preceded him in death.
He was educated in Catholic grammar schools in San Francisco, then attended a minor seminary for one year, completing high school at St. Ignatius High in San Francisco. He worked as a salesman for three years, then entered the California province of the Jesuits in 1937. He completed the novitiate, obtained his BA at Santa Clara University and his MA at Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA, and then taught high school. However, he left the Jesuits in 1947.
The intellectual life still beckoned and he went to the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, where as a layman he obtained his Ph.D. in 1951. At this University staffed by Dominicans, he decided to enter the Dominican Order and was accepted into the Central Province, entering the novitiate at Winona, MN, in 1951, under the late beloved novice master, Nicholas Walsh, O.P. A year later he professed first vows and was ordained to the priesthood on May 25, 1957, at St. Rose Priory, Dubuque, IA.
Following ordination he spent 12 years as a teacher of philosophy and theology. At Sacred Heart Dominican College, Houston, TX, he was head of the philosophy department for four years. He also at various times taught at Aquinas Newman Center, University of New Mexico; at the University of Dallas, Irving, TX; at Rosary College, River Forest, IL; and at Mt. St. Mary's College, Los Angeles. During this time he also contributed articles to various Catholic journals. In 1969 he became Director of Catholic campus ministry at Rice University and the Texas Medical Center, Houston, staying there for nine years. At the same time he was diocesan director of campus ministry.
For the last 16 years of his life he was the organizer and main preacher for the Southwest Dominican Preachers, based at St. Albert's Priory, Irving. He began this work in 1978 and over the years continued this doctrinal preaching in parish missions, assisted by various members of the Central and, since 1979, of the Southern Dominican Provinces. He joined the Southern Province at its inception in 1979.
Although he had reached the age of 77, he continued to preach parish missions, persevering in a work that benefited the Catholic faith of many people. On Tuesday, January 18, 1994, he suffered a massive stroke while at St. Albert's Priory, was taken to Irving Hospital, and there died the next day, January 19th. The Mass of Christian Burial was held at University of Dallas Chapel, January 22nd, and he was buried in the Dominican plot of Calvary Hill Cemetery, Dallas, TX.
For more than 36 years as a Dominican priest, Father Joseph Wyss was a teacher and a preacher of the truths of the Catholic faith.
Damian Callery Fandal
1929 - 1994
Callery Fandal was born in New Orleans, May 1, 1929, one of three children. The following year his parents moved to Houston, TX, and there he attended Holy Rosary grammar school, and St. Thomas high school; he then went to Loras College in Dubuque, IA, for two years. He entered the Dominican novitiate at River Forest, IL, on June 24, 1957, taking in religion the name of Damian. In 1958 he professed his vows and made his philosophical studies, moving to St. Rose Priory, Dubuque, for theology. At St. Rose Priory he was ordained priest on May 27, 1954. A year later he obtained the Lectorate in Sacred Theology and went to the Angelicum University, Rome, where in 1957 he earned the Doctorate in Sacred Theology.
Returning to the U.S., Father Damian was made Assistant Director of Vocations for the Central Dominican Province, preaching many retreats to students. In August of 1958 he was sent to Dallas, the first Dominican priest to be assigned to that region of Texas. At the University of Dallas, then only two years old, he was an Instructor in Theology for three years. In 1964 he became Academic Dean of the University and was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor of Theology the following year.
The Provincial of the Central Province called Father Fandal to Chicago in 1967 to serve as Director of Education for the Province and early in 1969 he was appointed Vicar Provincial. In the summer of 1969 the newly-elected Provincial, Clement Collins, assigned him again to the University of Dallas where he was Dean of the Graduate School and then was first director of the University's Rome program. In 1972 he again became Academic Dean of the University and in March its Acting President. However, in June of 1977 he was elected Provincial of the Central Province and so resigned from the University and moved to Chicago. He served two terms as Provincial, 1977 to 1985, then was assigned to Miami at Barry University as chairman of the Department of Religious Studies and Philosophy. He returned to the University of Dallas as Academic Dean for 1988-90 and then moved to St. Dominic parish in New Orleans where he was an associate pastor until the time of his death.
He was a great encourager and helper in the formation of the Southern Dominican Province and when the Province was officially set up in the fall of 1979 he was the first to join, though he had to finish his terms as Provincial of the Central Province before he was actually assigned to the Southern Province.
Since the fall of 1973 he was a regular speaker on the American Religious Town Hall Meeting, a weekly TV show which aired nationwide and featured leaders from many religious denominations.
Father Fandal was the author of the book, The Essence of the Eucharistic Sacrifice, and was co-author of two series of textbooks for the teaching of Catholic doctrine, one for high school and one for college.
In 1993 he was diagnosed as having leukemia. He continued his regular parish duties and speaking engagements for a time, then was hospitalized. Several weeks later he died on April 22, 1994, fortified by the sacraments, especially by Christ in the Eucharist whom he loved and served so well during his life.
In 1994 he was survived by a brother, James Fandal of Denver, and a sister, Elaine Homan of Gettysburg, PA.
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Dominic's church, New Orleans, with former archbishop of New Orleans, Philip Hannan, as chief celebrant and assisted by other bishops, priests, Dominican brothers and sisters and many, many friends. He was buried in the Dominican cemetery at Rosaryville, LA.
William Robert Barron
1909 - 1994
William Robert Barron was born May 27, 1909 in Woonsocket, RI, the seventh of the eight children of Pierce and Mary Barron. He attended Providence College, Providence, RI, then entered the novitiate of the Eastern Dominican Province, making his first profession of vows on August 16, 1931. After making his studies in philosophy and theology he was ordained on June 11, 1937; then he was sent to the Dominican College "Angelicum" in Rome where he earned his doctorate in Sacred Theology.
In 1940 he joined the newly-formed Central Dominican Province and began teaching at the Dominican Studium in River Forest, IL, as well as at Rosary College nearby. For about 35 years he continued his priestly ministry as a counsellor/chaplain and as a professor of philosophy and theology: the Dominican Studium and Rosary College, River Forest, IL; DePaul University and St. Xavier College, Chicago, as well as Mercy Hospital, Chicago; St. Michael's College, Santa Fe, NM; and St. Edward's University, Austin, TX.
Father Barron had also been Master of the cooperator brothers at River Forest, as well as a Thomist lecturer and leader of retreats and days of recollection in Illinois and Wisconsin. From 1946 to 1955 he served as Provincial Promoter for the Dominican Confraternities of Blessed Imelda and Angelic Warfare, and the Rosary Apostolate, introducing the recitation of this prayer on the radio. He also worked diligently as director of the St. Dominic Mission Society after which he was appointed pastor of Holy Name parish in Kansas City, MO.
In the early 70's, he was a pastor and hospital chaplain in Hollywood, FL, but on a trip back to Chicago in 1974 he suffered a debilitating stroke. From that time on he was in and out of many nursing homes,
and for about the last 12 years of his life he was cared for tirelessly and with great sacrifice and devotion by one of his former students, Sister Mary Fisher, O.P., of the Racine Dominican Congregation. He died of cancer in Detroit, MI, on May 21, 1994.
Father Barron gave many years of his life to teaching and this was always his first love. He had a remarkable ability to explain and illustrate difficult material and his students remember him as a dedicated, energetic and knowledgeable instructor. His apostolate totally changed during his years of illness, or rather he became a preacher and teacher through his prayer and suffering. "My job is to pray for the world," he said, and he continually offered his pain for the conversion of sinners, while his great prayer was the rosary.
A wake and memorial Mass were celebrated in St. Suzanne's church, Detroit, on May 23rd. Then his body was brought to St. Thomas Priory, River Forest, IL, where on May 25th a Mass of Christian Burial was offered, with interment in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, IL.
Henry Joseph Hoppe
Henry Edward Hoppe was born on October 10, 1905, in Springfield, MO, one of five children born to Herman W. Hoppe and Rose Marie Walner. In 1994 the one surviving member of the family was Mrs. Anna Ingersoll of North Carolina.
Henry attended St. Joseph grammar school and high school in Springfield, then went on to Conception College in Conception, MO, for one year and continued at Providence College, Providence, RI, where he received his A.A. degree. He entered the Order of Preachers at St. Rose Priory, KY, in 1928 and received the religious name of Joseph. In 1932 Joe made solemn profession at the Dominican priory in Somerset, OH, and then in 1935 was ordained to the priesthood in Washington, DC. He made his preparatory studies in philosophy and theology at the Dominican Houses of Study in River Forest, IL and Washington, DC.
For the first three years of his priestly ministry he was assigned to St. Vincent Ferrer parish in New York City and then Sacred Heart parish in Jersey City, NJ. In 1939 he began to conduct home missions while stationed at the House of Studies in River Forest, and in 1940 he transfiliated to the newly-formed Chicago Dominican Province. For one year he preached with the Minneapolis Mission Band, then, since he was an effective preacher, he became head of the Southern Mission Band operating out of St. Anthony's Priory in New Orleans and he continued in the position from 1942 to 1951. Following this, he was head of the Chicago Mission Band operating out of St. Pius V Priory from 1951 to 1956. In 1956 he suffered a heart attack which restricted his ministry for a year, then as a member of the Chicago Mission Band he continued his preaching of missions and retreats from 1957 to 1963.
In 1963 because of a heart condition and related health problems, he moved to St. Anthony's, New Orleans, and went on limited service. For his outstanding ministry as a preacher, Joe was honored with the title of Preacher General in recognition of his years spent in proclaiming the word of God and the message of Christ to innumerable people in parishes and religious institutions.
During his retirement years, his life of prayer and of service to his brothers continued until the last year of his life when his deteriorating health required that he move to a nursing home in New Orleans. There he died on August 30, 1994.
Two days later the Mass of Christian burial was concelebrated by many of the Dominican brothers at St. Dominic's church, New Orleans, and burial was in the Dominican cemetery at Rosaryville, LA.
John Edmund O'Connell
1916 - 1994
Father John Edmund O'Connell, 78, died at Dallas, TX, December 27, 1994. Born in New Haven, CT, September 18, 1916, he was the son of the late Maurice O'Connell and Kathryn Sullivan O'Connell, both natives of Ireland. He was survived by one brother, Maurice J., who with his wife, Eleanor, reside in Canden, CT, and four nieces.
After attending grammar and high schools in New Haven, Father O'Connell went to Providence College where he earned a bachelor's degree. In 1937 he entered the novitiate of the Order of Preachers at St. Rose Priory, Kentucky. He made his first religious profession on August 16, 1938 and his profession of solemn vows three years later while pursuing his priestly studies at the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, IL. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 4, 1944.
For many years a college teacher of theology, he served as chaplain and professor at Rosary College, River Forest, IL from 1946 to 1955. He was appointed principal of Fenwick High School, Oak Park, IL where he served from 1955 to 1962. Moving to Dallas TX at that time, Father taught theology for one year at the University of Dallas and was then named the first principal of Bishop Lynch High School in Dallas where he held that position from 1963 to 1966.
After more than 24 years in Catholic educational ministry, he was assigned to pastoral ministry; he served as associate pastor in several parishes, including that of St. Paul the Apostle, Richardson, TX, where he worked from 1974 to 1978. From there he went to St. Helena's parish, Amite, LA, where he remained as pastor until 1991. Due to illness, he had to retire from parish work and, in 1991, he was assigned to the Priory of St. Albert the Great, Irving, TX. There he celebrated the golden jubilee of his priesthood in the spring of 1994.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated in the Chapel of the Incarnation, University of Dallas in Irving, on December 30, with interment in Calvary Hill Cemetery, in Dallas, TX.
Louis Abraham Thuyen si Ho
1921 - 1995
Louis Abraham Thuyen si Ho, O.P., returned to his Father's House on February 2, 1995 in St. Joseph Hospital, Houston, TX.
Abraham was born to Mr. and Mrs. Than si Ho on July 21, 1921 at Quynh Doi village, Quynh Luu district, Nghe An province, Central Vietnam. His family was a noble family, strongly influenced by Buddhism-Confucianism. Mr. Than si Ho, his father, was a minister of the government that persecuted the Catholic Church in Vietnam for more than a century. Mr. Ho himself believed that the syncretized Buddhist Confucianism is the only religion.
Abraham, after finishing elementary school, was sent to study at St. Louis Catholic high school, a school with a good reputation for discipline and academics. Abraham, with his competitive nature and leadership abilities, wanted to be good in all subjects. Among these subjects was the Catholic catechism. To "defeat" other students, especially Catholic classmates, Abraham tried to prove that Catholicism was wrong and only the syncretized religion was perfect. However, to prove that Catholicism was wrong, Abraham needed to know about its teachings. Secretly, when the lights were out and other students had already gone to bed, he read the bible and theology. Amazingly, the bible and Jesus' teachings became his thoughts and feelings. Then, instead of converting his friends to his religion, Abraham decided to become Catholic. His decision made the whole family angry; his father nearly beat him to death. His conversion was considered a shame for the family. It was a denial of ancestors, of culture and even of country. Sadly, his family disowned him. Since that time -- 1937 -- his family has never seen him.
To show his faith in the Catholic church, Thuyen si Ho chose Abraham, man of faith, as his baptismal name. Like Abraham he left everything behind for a new family and a new life. Then he decided to become a Dominican. The one who assisted him in entering the Dominicans was a French member of the "Missions Étrangeres de Paris," Father Khanh (Vietnamese name). Abraham spent his novitiate and priestly formation at Hai Duong Province. On August 22, 1951, at Bui Chu Province, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Chi ngoc Pham, bishop of Bui Chu diocese. The joyful day of his ordination was also a bitter day, for none of his family members came to attend. When his classmates joyfully celebrated their big day, Abraham was alone. In tears he asked for some rosaries and sent them to his family. He publicly asked God to support his family and asked his family for forgiveness if he did anything wrong against them.
Those who had known him recognized that he did not like the mediocre. He had a tendency to go to the extreme, to perfectionism. He followed the examples of Dominican saints very strictly. Coming from a rich and powerful family, he wanted to live perfectly his vow of poverty and to deny everything. He had some very worn-out clothes. For a penance, during the summer, he wore thick clothes; during winter, very light clothes. On Fridays he ate nothing and drank only water. He used to collect left-over bread for his meal. The superior understood his intentions and allowed him to live such an ascetic life.
Abraham had taught at many schools and volunteered to be a military chaplain. He was so devoted to his ministry that many soldiers said that they sensed God in him. In 1975, he, together with other refugees, came to the United States. He served Vietnamese people in the Fort Worth diocese for two years and then ministered as co-chaplain to the Vietnamese community at Holy Rosary parish in Houston from 1980-1990. From 1990 to 1995, he became chaplain for the Vietnamese Dominican Sisters in Houston.
Father Louis Abraham Thuyen si Ho was a Dominican who loved God and his Order. His motto was "Enjoy the happiness of the Order and endure the suffering of the Order." His style of living was different from that of other people, but his simplicity, sincerity and love have become living examples. Many people saw him as their hero.
On Tuesday, February 8, 1995, the Very Rev. Alberto Rodriguez, Prior Provincial of the Southern Province, two bishops, 40 priests, more than 40 sisters and hundreds of people came to Holy Rosary Church in Houston, TX to pray for him. He lived as a Dominican and died as a Dominican among his brothers.
Leonard Edward Curtis
1913 - 1995
Edward Curtis was born on 10 January 1913, of Edward P. Curtis and Catherine Sweeney Curtis of Cambridge, MA. He was one of 11 children of whom three were living at the time of his death, a brother, Richard, and two sisters, Helen Curtis and Sister Emerita, O.P. (Frances) of St. Catharine's, KY.
He was educated at St. John's grammar and high schools in Cambridge, and attended Providence College, Providence, RI (1933-35). He entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Rose, KY, receiving the religious name of Leonard, and made first profession there on August 16, 1936. He studied philosophy and theology at St. Thomas Aquinas College, River Forest, IL, and while there he joined the newly-formed Dominican Province of St. Albert the Great in 1939. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 11th, 1942, at River Forest.
During his active priestly ministry (1943-1983), Father Leonard was pastor and associate pastor in many, mostly rural, parishes. He first went to Campti, LA (1943-52), then to Boyce, LA, Mangum, OK, Amarillo, TX, Independence, LA, Campti again as pastor (1968-76), and Ponchatoula, LA, as parochial vicar (1976-83). The great desire of his life was to be a good shepherd to the people he served in various parishes, and for 40 years he was faithful to this priestly labor of love. He favored a quote from St. Paul, "For those who love God, all things work together for good." He was ready to serve where needed, and the needs of the province and the church were first in his life.
He retired from full-time activity in 1983, joining the community of St. Albert Priory in Irving, TX, where he continued to help in parishes on week-ends for several years. In June 1991, he went to the Lafon Nursing Home in New Orleans, in 1992 to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory in River Forest, and then in 1993 he went to the Saint Patrick's Residence in Naperville, IL. At the latter place he quietly passed away on the morning of November 17, 1995.
His Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, IL, November 21 st, by Father Alberto Rodriguez, O.P., provincial of the Southern Dominican Province, which Father Leonard had joined at its inception in 1979. He was interred at the Dominican plot of All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, IL.
One sister, Sister Mary Edna, O.P. (St. Catharine's, KY), as well as six other brothers and sisters, had preceded him in death. May they welcome him with joy into the land of the living.
Clement Eugene Collins
1916 - 1995
Eugene Richard Collins was born on March 31, 1916, son of Joseph A. and Mary Murphy Collins of Goshen, IN, one of six children-two boys and four girls.
He attended St. John's grammar school in Goshen, then Goshen igh school. He went to Notre Dame University for one year, then continued at Goshen College for two more years. In August 1941, he joined the Army Air Corps and served both in the U. S. and overseas, taking part in the Normandy invasion of 1944.
After the war he resumed his studies at Catholic University of America in September 1946. In August of 1948 he entered the Dominican novitiate in Winona, MN, making his first vows in September 1949, into the hands of the Master of the Order, Emmanuel Suarez.
He did philosophy studies at the House of Studies in River Forest, IL, and theology at St. Rose Priory, Dubuque, IA. Bishop Loras T. Lane, auxiliary of Dubuque, IA, ordained him to the priesthood on May 19, 1955.
Clem's first priestly assignment was teaching american history at Fenwick High School, Oak Park, IL, for one year. Then he served as associate pastor at Blessed Sacrament, Madison, WI, during the years 1957 to 1963, also teaching courses in psychology and apologetics at nearby Edgewood College. In September 1963, he became pastor and prior at St. Albert the Great parish and priory, Minneapolis, MN, and continued there for four years. In August 1967, he was apppointed Vicar Provincial of the Chicago province as well as being provincial director for the cooperator brothers. At the provincial chapter, May 1969, he was elected provincial and served faithfully during a time of great change until May 1973.
Having finished his term as provincial, he took a year's sabbatical and then became associate pastor and superior at St. Thomas More Newman Center (University of Arizona) in Tucson, 1974 to 1979. In July 1979, he became pastor at St. Anthony's parish in New Orleans, and there he joined the Southern Province at its inception. Completing his term as pastor he stayed on at St. Anthony's as associate pastor, 1985 to 1991.
In 1991 he was assigned to the community of Casa Juan Macias in San Antonio, TX. His ministry was to organize and to teach Bible Study programs for the archdiocese. And there, after a struggle with cancer, he died peacefully the evening of December 10, 1995.
His funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Ann's church in San Antonio with Archbishop Patrick Flores, Ordinary of San Antonio, and R.B. Williams, O.P., pastor, as main celebrants. Later, his body was taken to St. Anthony's, New Orleans, for a wake and Mass, with interment at Rosaryville, LA, on December 16th.
Clem was basically a "happy man," that is, with great trust in the Lord and concern for the needs of others. After completing his term as provincial during a time of great change and difficulties in the province and in the church, he was asked how he felt. His reply, "I'm still a happy man." May his many friends welcome him into everlasting happiness with his Lord.
Thomas William Martin
1920 - 1995
Thomas William Martin was born August 26, 1920 in Chicago, IL, the son of Fred C. Martin and Helen Woida Martin. Brother Thomas lived a very full life and a truly varied career. He made his simple profession as a cooperator brother at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory in River Forest, IL, May 4, 1943. From that date until 1955. he worked as Business Manager and Maintenance Engineer at the House of Studies in River Forest, at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, IL, and at St. Peter Martyr Novitiate in Winona, MN.
From 1955 to 1974, Brother Tom was assigned to our foreign missions (begun in 1951) in Nigeria, West Africa. He was the righthand man of Bishop Thaddeus Lawton, O.P., who established the diocese of Sokoto, Northern Nigeria. Brother Tom was the supervisor of church building in the newly established diocese, and was of incalculable help to Bishop Lawton in administering the diocese. Indeed, he was driving Bishop Lawton to an appointment when the Bishop died of a heart attack in their car.
Brother Tom returned to the States in 1974 and for the next 15 years was assigned for some time as business manager of St. Dominic Priory and parish in New Orleans, LA, with other assignments at Bishop Lynch High School in Dallas, TX, and St. Martin de Porres parish in Columbia, SC. In the late 80's Brother Tom's health declined and after a period of time spent in the Juan Macias Care Center at St. Thomas Priory in River Forest, he went to his eternal reward on December 16, 1995.
Brother Tom was waked at his beloved St. Thomas Aquinas Priory in River Forest. Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on December 21, attended by many of his Dominican brethren, relatives and friends. May the Lord richly reward him for being a wonderful religious.
Reginald R Masterson, O.P.
1920 - 1996
Reginald R. Masterson was born in Omaha, NE, April 15, 1920, the son of John J. Masterson and Genevieve Schiffele. Father Reginald had a full and varied career. Much of his life was spent in the academic world. And there he occupied a number of high posts with singular distinction. Among these were: Dean of Theology at Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; Director and Professor of the M.A. Program in Theology at St. Xavier College, Chicago, IL; Director of Renewal and Pastoral Planning for the Archdiocese of Dubuque, IA.
Father Reginald's academic career extended over the course of 20 years from 1954-1974. At that time-in 1974-he became involved in pastoral work at St. Dominic parish, New Orleans, LA until his death on March 28, 1996. He also served as prior of St. Dominic's Priory from 1988-1994.
As parochial vicar of St. Dominic's, he was unsparing of himself in his service of all those who came to him for help and guidance. And this was so visibly shown by the crowds of people, from all walks of life, clergy, religious and laity, who honored and thanked him at his funeral Mass celebrated at St. Dominic's Church on April 1, 1996.
Father Reginald was buried in the Dominican Friars' Cemetery in Rosaryville, LA beside the grave of his brother, John Gerald Masterson, O.P., who had died in 1993.
Both Father Reginald and his brother, Father Gerald, did an incalculable amount of good in their academic and pastoral apostolates. So many people, whose lives they touched and our own Dominicans in particular, owe both of them a deep debt of gratitude. They were truly Lord-like Dominicans. May they pray for and bless us!
James Stanislaus McHatton
1912 - 1997
James Stanislaus McHatton was born on Mar. 18, 1912 in Hollandale, WI to John H. McHatton and Margeret Short. He studied at Hollandale High School and Aquinas High School in Columbus, OH. In 1934 he went to Providence College in Providence, RI.
James ("Pappy") entered the Dominican novitiate for St. Joseph's Province at St. Rose, KY in 1936 and made his first profession there on Aug. 16, 1937. At the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, IL (1937-1944), he acquired an M.A. and STLr. When St. Albert's Province was formed in 1939, he joined this new Province. Archbishop John T. McNicholas, O.P., ordained him a priest on June 6, 1943 at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest.
As a Dominican priest, James had a rich variety of ministries. He served as associate pastor at St. Albert's in Minneapolis, MN and at St. Helen's in Amite, LA. From 1948-1954, he taught philosophy and theology at Xavier University of Louisiana, the only Black Catholic university in the U.S.
Soon after St. Albert's Province began its mission in Nigeria, James went to St. Dominic's Church in Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria (1954-1961). From 1962-1963, he served as associate pastor at Our Lady of Fatima Church at Gusau in northern Nigeria. In 1964 he returned to the U. S. and became associate pastor at Holy Rosary Church in Houston, TX. Next he went to Holy Name Church in Kansas City, MO to become director of the Shrine and Radio Apostolate (1970-1973). From 1973 until 1979, he was associate pastor at St. Joseph's Church, Ponchatoula, LA.
In 1979 he became a member of the newly formed St. Martin de Porres Province. From then until his final illness, he lived at St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans and assisted various parishes in and near New Orleans.
James died on June 16, 1997 at Memorial Medical Center, New Orleans. His Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Anthony Church and he was buried at Rosaryville near Ponchatoula, LA on June 19, 1997.
Quentin Alfred Lister
1930 - 1997
Alfred H. Lister was born on June 22, 1930 in Providence, RI, the son of William H. Lister and Thelma Evelyn McNeil. After his early education in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, he studied at Providence College.
He received the religious name of Quentin and made his novitiate at St. Stephen Priory, Dover MA; he was professed there for St. Joseph Province on Aug. 16, 1953. He attended the Dominican Philosophy Schools at St. Rose Priory, KY, St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, OH, and St. Stephen Priory, Dover, MA. Then he received the S.T.L. and S.T.Lr. From the Pontifical Institute of Theology in Washington, DC. He was ordained on June 5, 1959.
Quentin, possessing an exceptional facility with classical and modern languages, began advanced studies in 1962 at Harvard University. From 1964-1970 he studied at Oxford University in England and received the M.A. degree. He later received the S.T.D. from the Pontifical University of St. Thomas in Rome with his dissertation in "Greek Philosophy and Revealed Religion in Ibn Sina (Avicenna)."
After the Southern Province began in 1979, he joined this new Province. During these years, he had a variety of ministries including theology professor at Emmanuel College (Boston, MA), campus minister at the University of Virginia, charismatic and Christian TV minister, secretary of the Dominican Curia Generalizia in Rome, and chaplain for St. Vincent Infirmary Medical Center (Little Rock, AR), and V.A. Hospital (Kerrville, TX).
In Jan. 1995 Quentin moved to Wynhoven Health Care Center, Marrero, LA and died on August 16, 1997. Fr. Alberto Rodriguez, prior provincial, presided at the Mass of Christian Burial at St. Anthony's Church in New Orleans. Quentin was buried at the Dominican Cemetery in Rosaryville, LA.