LIVES OF THE BRETHREN 1999 --This Appendix contains brief biographies of all the members of the Province who have died since the Fifteenth Provincial Chapter in 1999. The following list is in alphabetical order. Biographies are given in chronological order according to the dates of death.
CLANCY, Patrick Michael James October 3, 2001 DELLA PENTA, Joseph Clement August 28, 1999 MALATESTA, Charles Reginald September 17, 2001 O'CONNELL, John Gerard November 3, 2001 POWELL, Ralph Austin June 12, 2001 RYAN, Paul Ferrer October 29, 1999 TRUTTER, Richard Simon October 29, 1999 WINDBACHER, Ambrose Peter October 8, 2001 WREISNER, Richard Hugh September 8, 2001 ZUSY, Dennis Robert August 6, 2000
PAUL FERRER RYAN O.P.
Paul Welton Ryan, the youngest of the six children of Dr. Mark E. Ryan and Isabel M. Parry, was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, on April 24, 1931. His primary education was at Nativity School, St. Paul, his home parish. After completing his secondary education at Cretin High School, St. Paul (1945-49), he attended Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa (1949-51). Already in high school he had the desire to be a priest and a member of the Order of Preachers.
He entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Winesota, on August, 1951, where he was given the religious name of Ferrer, and where on August 31, 1952, he made his first profession of vows. He pursued philosophical studies at the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, Illinois (1952-55), and made his profession of solemn vows there on August 31, 1955. Because of the number of Dominican students in the Province at that tune he was sent to the College of St. Albert, Oakland, California, for his first year of theology, and then returned to the midwest to complete his years of theology at the College of St. Rose of Lima, Dubuque, Iowa (1956-59). He was ordained a priest there on May 24, 1958.
His first assignment was to Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois where for ten years he taught Latin, English and religion, and served as moderator of the yearbook and of the Blackfriars Guild, where his love for theater and music found an outlet. In 1969 he was sent to Albuquerque, New Mexico, as an associate pastor at the Aquinas Newman Center, the first of several campus ministry assignments. The following year he returned to his native St. Paul where for two years he taught religion and English on the faculty of St. Thomas Academy. From 1972 until 1974 he was assistant chaplain at Methodist Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and an associate pastor at Most Holy Trinity Parish, St. Louis Park, Minnesota. In January 1978 Father Ryan moved to New Orleans, to serve as assistant chaplain at East Jefferson General Hospital, Metairie, Louisiana. The following fall he moved to Hammond, Louisiana, where he became director of campus ministry at Southeastern Louisiana University. He continued in campus ministry at the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa (1979-82) and at North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota (1982-83). In 1983 he returned to his native Minnesota where he served in a number of parishes: St. John the Baptist, New Brighton (1983-88, 1989-92); St. Albert the Great, Minneapolis (1988-$9); St. Andrew, Elk River (1992); and St. Mary, Breckenridge (1993). From 1993-9$ he served in the Diocese of St. Cloud, Minnesota, as pastor of two parishes -- Sacred Heart, Dent and St. Lawrence, Rush Lake (1993-96), and as parochial vicar at St. Mary Parish, Melrose (1997-98). In 199$ he returned to the Twin Cities and served for a time as parochial vicar at Immaculate Conception Parish, Columbia Heights, Minnesota.
In 1999 Father Ryan began what was to be his last assignment at St. Theresa Southwest, a home for the eiderly in Hopkins, Minnesota, where he continued to serve until his death. On the morning of October 23, 1999, he was involved in an automobile accident and was taken to Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. At the hospital white experiencing an asthmatic attack he suffered a heart attack and multiple strokes and lapsed into unconsciousness. He remained in this condition until his death late on October 29, 1999. The funeral liturgy was celebrated on November 3, 1999, at St. Albert the Great Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and burial was in the Dominican Plot at St. Mary's Cemetery, Minneapolis.
JOSEPH CLEMENT DELLA PENTA O.P.
Joseph John Della Penta was born on December 15, 1910, in Buffalo, New York, being the sixth of seven children of Marco Onofrio Delta Penta and Luisa Picciano. His early education was in a public grammar school of the City of Buffalo and later in St. Lucy Grammar School, his home Parish. After attending Hutchinson Central High School in Buffalo, he spent two years at Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island (1926-28).
In August of 1928 he entered the novitiate of the Province of St. Joseph at Springfield, Kentucky, and was given the religious name Clement. Having made his first profession there on August 16, 1929, he was sent to the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, Illinois, for his philosophical studies. In the summer of 1932 he was sent to St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, for his first year of theological studies and trade his solemn profession there on August 16, 1932. A year later he was assigned to the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C., for the remainder of his theological studies, earning the degree Lector of Sacred Theology. Concurrently with his theological studies he studied at the Catholic University of America and earned a Master of Arts degree in philosophy. He was ordained a priest at St. Dominic's Church, Washington, D.C., on June 13, 1935.
In 1936 for Father Della Penta's first assignment he was sent on loan to the Province of the Most Holy Name to serve as professor of philosophy and sacred eloquence at the College, of St. Albert the Great, Oakland, California. For most of his life teaching was to be his ministry. After two years in California he was sent to Siena Heights College, Adrian, Michigan, as a professor of philosophy and theology (1938-40). For the next two years he pursued graduate studies at the Catholic University of America, earning a doctor's degree in philosophy in 1942. Upon completion ofhis graduate studies Father Della Penta returned to St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, to teach theology in the same priory where he had begun his own theological studies. In 1945 he was transferred to St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, where he served as instructor in Latin and sacred music for the novices of St. Joseph's Province. In 1948 he was assigned to Independence, Louisiana, in the Province of St. Albert the Great where he assisted his brother, Father Daniel Mark Della Penta, O.P., who was pastor of Mater Dolorosa Parish. In 1950 Father Edward Hughes, O.P., Prior Provincial of the Province of St. Albert the Great, asked Father Delta Penta to come north to Chicago and teach at De Paul University. Thus began a teaching career at De Paul University which was to continue until his retirement in 1981, thirty-one years ofteaching philosophy, theology and courses on Dante's Divine Comedy, a particular love of his life. In 1977 Father Delta Penta formally petitioned for transfer to the Province of St. Albert the Great in which he had la bored for nearly thirty years and the Master of the Order granted his transfiliation.
During his years as a college teacher Father Joe pursued other personal interests, playing banjo, mandolin, guitaa bass and mandola in several bands including the Zither Club of Chicago. For 44 years he was a member and chaplain of the Columbian Club of Chicago and was chaplain of the Shendan-Carroll Council #537 of th. Knights of Columbus, being the cook for many of their spaghetti fund-raising dinners. From 1981 when he retired from De Paul University until his death he was assigned to limited service in the Province, although he was far from idle. He returned to Louisiana and resided at Tickfaw, where he assisted local clergy as a supply priest, taught children in the area to play stringed instruments, played in bands, and offered lectures on the work of his beloved Dante. In 1998 he became chaplain of Our Lady of Pompeii Council #11060 of the Knights of Columbus at Tickfaw.
Late in August, 1999, he suffered a fall from which he did not recover. His health rapidly declined and he died on August 28, 1999, at the age of 88 years. Funeral services were held at Our Lady of Pompeii Parish, Tickfaw, Louisiana, on August 31st with burial in the Dominican Friars Plot as Rosaryville, Louisiana. On September 2, 1999, a memorial Mass was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory. River Forest, Illinois, for his many Chicago friends.
The following is the preaching from Joseph Della Penta's Memorial Mass. It was delivered by Fr. Robert Goedert, O. P.
Fourteen years ago, in 1985, in this chapel, I had the privilege of preaching at Fr. Joseph Della Penta's 50' anniversary of his priesthood. At his request, today, I am again privileged to preach at this Memorial Mass for his eternal peace. I'm confident that Fr. Joe would again approve. I'm sure that many of you... his close friends... were present at that joyous celebration I know you'll forgive me if I repeat myself today. And I probably will repeat some thoughts because this celebration today is not that different from the one in 1985.
We are again celebrating and thanking God for the life and priesthood of Fr. Joe Della Penta, Dominican.
Jesus invited all of us to follow him, but he warned us that it would not be easy. We just read that in last Sunday's Gospel (22nd Sun - A: Mt. 16.21): "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me."
Young Joe Della Penta heard that invitation, that challenge, and he accepted it. He entered the Dominican order in 1928, and was ordained a priest in 1935... 64 years ago.
Fr. Joe was a complete Dominican, combining the contemplative life with the active... The intellectual with the pastoral. The first 45 years or so of his priesthood were devoted primarily to teaching, especially philosophy and theology, in colleges, seminaries, and universities. That was his strength.
At one point in his academic career, in 1973, Fr. Joe suffered a brain tumor. We really thought that would be the end of his earthly life. But he and the Lord fooled us all. There was another quarter-century in the old war horse.
Fr. Joe always balanced his intellectual apostolate with frequent pastoral work. Sunday supply in parishes was a regular part of his weekly schedule... And helping with confessions, especially at the busy times of the year. He was always available to his college students... As their counselor and confessor and spiritual advisor, as well as their professor. As chaplain of several Knights of Columbus Councils and of the Columbian Club, Fr. Joe was the personal advisor and friend of thousands of Catholic men and their families... and many non-Catholics too.
Fr. Joe's Italian Heritage was frequently evident in his apostolates. I wouldn't even guess how many altars he blessed in honor of his great patron, St. Joseph. Of course, he always used the occasion for a little evangelizing among his brethren, especially targeting the wayward ones. In all of his priestly activity, what stands out most in the eyes... and ears... of Fr. Joe's friends, is his love for preaching... boy, did he love to preach! God blessed Joe with a powerful voice to go with his brilliant mind... and he loved to use it... To preach the truth... no matter how long it took! Joe never cut his listeners short. They got their money's worth. As his prior for 6 years, and often strapped to find a preacher on short notice, I always knew I could call on Fr. Joe. He was like an old firehorse, always ready for action. When the bell clangs, he jumps into the harness. Ready to go... to preach. A true son of St. Dominic.
Then, there was the musical side of Fr. Joe's life. I don't know how many musical instruments he could play... certainly the mandolin, banjo, guitar, zither. We can probably say: if it has strings, Joe could play it.
And we cannot forget his golf. He pursued that game with the same intensity he did everything else, and I'm told... with the same skill. I do not know if any of his younger opponents ever beat him.
During his university teaching years, Fr. Joe often got his pastoral fix by helping his brother, Fr. Mark, in his parish down in Louisiana. What a pair! The Della Penta brothers were well-known and greatly loved throughout Tangipahoa parish in South Louisiana.
I think Louisiana, with its Italian communities and hereitage, got into his Neapolitan blood. That's why it seemed natural that when his academic career declined, Fr. Joe turned to his beloved Louisiana to continue his pastoral efforts. And that he did, right up to the day the Lord decided it was time to call him home. The provincial down south will have to find 2 or 3 men to replace him.
Above everything else, Fr. Joe was faithful to his commitment to the priesthood. He was always the priest. Whether he held in his hands a chalice, or a banjo, or a putter, Joe was a priest.
He served over 64 years as a priest of Jesus Christ, years of responding to special graces from a loving God. Years of being the instrument of transmitting God's word and graces to others. Jesus invites all of us to follow him, but in different ways. And we know he promised sacrifice to anyone who would follow him. Hear it again:
"Whoever wishes to be my disciple must deny himself, take up his cross each day, and follow me." As this challenge applies to every Christian, certainly it applies even more so to Christ's priests. Most Catholics today must make great sacrifices to live up to their faith. I think they have a right expect their priests to do the same.
The priesthood is a privilege. We do not choose it on our own. Jesus reminded his first priests: "You have not chosen me. I have chosen you."
Not all are called to the priesthood. Not all who are called accept the invitation. Some find the sacrifice too great. Even Jesus himself was rebuffed when he invited the rich young man to give up everything and follow him. The man went away sad because he had many possessions and could not, would not, give them up. I suspect that Jesus, in his human nature, was sad also. His personal invitation was rejected. Yes, the priesthood is a tremendous privilege. We have no right to it. No one... no one... has a right to the priesthood. It is a privilege, a privilege offered by Christ, through his Church.
Fr. Joe freely accepted that privilege with all the obligations that he knew it included. No man, on his own, could successfully accept the obligations, the sacrifices, the challenge of the priesthood. Only God's help makes it possible.
What did that priesthood mean to Fr. Joe, and to all his fellow priests today? What do they see as the purpose of their priesthood? Despite the muddy thinking of some modern theologians, with their various identity crises, I think the answer is not complex at all. It is really quite simple.
Jesus Christ lived on this earth for only a few years, and he personally reached only a tiny corner of it. But his mission must go on... To all men, to all nations, for all time.
Jesus calls his priests to carry on his mission, to preach his Gospel, to offer his sacrifice, to administer his forgiving grace, to draw all men and women to God... and to do it all in a spirit of joy. And that's what Fr. Joe did for 64 happy years. Pray for him. Pray for all your priests. Especially pray for that young man who today is being invited by Jesus to follow him completely, as one of his priests. Pray that his answer will be: yes, Lord.
We Dominicans are grateful to Fr. Joe's parents and his family for giving him to us. He has served God and Church and Order very well. Fr. Joe, your Dominican Brothers and your thousands of friends will miss you... Until we all meet again in heaven.
RICHARD SIMON TRUTTER O.P.
Richard Eugene Trutter was born in Springfield, Illinois, on April 23, 1929, the second of three sons of Edward Lawrence Trutter and Eda Louise Bergschneider. He attended Blessed Sacrament Grade School, Cathedral Boys' High School and Springfield Junior College -- all in Springfield, Illinois. After attending Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa (1948-49), he was received into the novitiate at St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Minnesota, by the Master of the Order, Emmanuel Suarez, on September 29, 1949, and was given the religious name Simon.
On September 30, 1950, he made his first profession of vows at St. Peter Martyr Priory and was assigned to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, where he pursued his philosophical studies (1950-53). He made his solemn profession there on September 30, 1953, and was assigned to St. Rose of Lima Priory, Dubuque, Iowa, for his theological studies (1953-57). There on May 25, 1957 he was ordained a priest by Archbishop Edward Hoban of Cleveland, Ohio. His first Mass of Thanksgiving was celebrated at Blessed Sacrament Church, Springfield, Illinois.
Father Trutter's first assignment in ministry was as associate pastor at St. Vincent Ferrer Parish, River Forest, Illinois (1957-64). He served as associate pastor in several other parishes: St. Pius V Parish, Chicago, Illinois (1964-65); Nativity Parish, Campti, Louisiana (1965-66); and St. Anthony of Padua Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana (1966-69). In 1969 he was appointed pastor of St. Hyacinth Parish, Amarillo, Texas, where he served until 1971. After spending a year in sabbatical studies at Aquinas Institute of Theology, Dubuque, Iowa, he began the first of two campus ministry assignments: Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona (1972-74) and three colleges in Colorado Springs, Colorado (1974-77). In 1977 he returned to parish ministry at St. Rose Church, Rushville, Illinois, which enabled him to care for his aging mother. After serving the parish for twelve years, he entered the Clinical Pastoral Education Program at Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, Illinois (1989-90) in preparation for his final major area of ministry, hospital chaplaincy. He served at St. John Hospital, Springfield, Illinois (1990-92), and finally at St. Vincent Hospital, Taylorville, Illinois (1992-99).
In August, 1999 Father Trutter was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given only a few months to live. He prepared himself for death, but as he was experiencing no pain from the cancer and felt well, he returned to part-time hospital ministry at St. Vincent Hospital. In December of 1999 it was determined that the cancer had spread and he gradually grew weaker. Supported by a hospice program, he was able to remain in the chaplain's quarters until his weakness required his transfer to St. Vincent Hospital proper at the end of January. There he died in the early morning hours of February 5, 2000. A wake and Funeral Mass was held at St. Mary's Church, Taylorville, Illinois, on February 8th and on February 9th a second wake and Funeral Mass at St. Vincent Ferrer Priory, River Forest, Illinois, his house of assignment. Burial was on February 10, 2000, in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
DENNIS ROBERT ZUSY O.P.
Robert Joseph Zusy, the oldest of the two children of Joseph W. Zusy, Jr., and Ludmilla B. Wuchterl, was born on December 21, 1928, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. For his early education he attended St. Anne Grammar School and St. John Cathedral High School, both in Milwaukee. Upon graduation from high school he attended Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa, for two years (1946-48) and entered the Dominican Novitiate at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, in June of 1948, where he was given the religious name Dennis.
On June 25, 1949, he made his first profession of vows at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, and remained there for his philosophical studies (1949-52), earning the Ph.B. and Ph.L. degrees in philosophy from the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy. After making his solemn profession of vows there on June 25, 1952, Dennis was transferred to St. Rose of Lima Priory, Dubuque, Iowa, for theological studies, earning the Lectorate in Sacred Theology. On May 19, 1955, he was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Loras Lane, auxiliary of the Archdiocese of Dubuque.
Father Zusy's first ministerial assignment was to St. Xavier College, Chicago, Illinois (1956-62), which began a lifetime of teaching. During this time in addition to his teaching he studied biology and chemistry at St. Xavier College and clinical psychology at Loyola University of Chicago. For the next five years (1962-67) he pursued graduate studies in biology at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, obtaining the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in biology. Upon completion of his graduate studies he held several teaching positions simultaneously during the next four years: (1967-70) professor of psychology and philosophy of science, Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy, River Forest, Illinois; (1967-71) assistant professor of biology, Rosary College, River Forest; (1967-71) assistant professor of biology, Concordia College, River Forest; and (1969) visiting assistant professor at Northwestern University. During these years he was also a lecturer for the Thomist Association.
In 1971 Father Zusy was assigned to St. Rose of Lima Priory, Dubuque, Iowa, where for the next ten years he served as professor of philosophy and religion at Aquinas Institute as well as associate chaplain and professor of biology at Clarke College. Dennis loved nothing better than taking a group of college biology students on a field trip across the United States. His own continuing study of biology led him to summer programs at Colorado State University (Fort Collins, Colorado), the University of' Kansas (Lawrence, Kansas), the Oak Ridge Associated Universities (Oak Ridge, Tennessee), and the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador.
When Aquinas Institute was relocated in St. Louis, Missouri. during the summer of 1981, Father Zusy too moved to St. Louis, maintaining his faculty status and assuming the position of Master of Students for the Dominicans at St. Dominic Priory. In 1985 the newly-elected Provincial, Father Donald Goergen, asked Father Zusy to be his Socius and Vicar Provincial, positions which required his transfer to Chicago where he resided at St. Pius V Priory. He served the Province and the Provincial in these positions for nine years and then continued to serve the Province as the Director of the Society for Vocational Support (1994-97). During this time he also served two terms as Prior of St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois (1990-96). Father Zusy was known for his love of and service to the brethren. He served the intellectual life of the Province through his teaching and his service as Assistant Promoter of Studies (1969-73), Master of Students (1981-85), and Regent of Studies (199499). In addition he served on numerous boards, commissions and projects.
His final assignment began in August 1997 when he was elected prior of the novitiate community in Denver, Colorado, a position he held until June 2000. Dennis soon found himself again in the classroorn, teaching the novices about the history and Constitutions of the Order and serving as a professor ofphilosophyatthe college seminary of the Archdiocese of Denver. In December of 1999 he was diagnosed with cancer. Various formes of treatment followed, but he continued his teaching. In June 2000 the cancer entered a very aggressive stage and his condition gradually deteriorated. He was first cared for at the St. Dominic Priory, then at St. Anthony's hospital, and finally at St. John's Hospice in Denver. He died in the early morning of August 6, 2000, the feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on August 10th at St. Dominic's Church, Denver, with burial in the Dominican plot at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Wheat Ridge, Colorado.
RALPH AUSTIN POWELL O.P.
Austin Joseph Powell was born on September 21, 1914 in Washington, D.C., being the second of the four sons of Eris and Mary Frances (née Conroy) Powell. His grammar school years were spent first at home (1st and 2nd grades), then successively at St. Paul's School, Washington, D.C., Cobb School and finally Most Blessed Sacrament School, both in Chevy Chase, D.C. He attended Georgetown Preparatory School, Garret Park, Maryland (1927-31) and Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. (1931-33), but did not return for his third year because he considered the curriculum too pagan. In September of 1933 he matriculated at the University of Louvain, Belgium, where he studied for six years, earning a bachelor's and a master's degree in philosophy, and where he eventually completed his doctoral degree in philosophy (1958). Returning to the United States in 1939, he spent a year at home before obtaining a teaching position at St. Michael's College, Torontb, Canada. However, after a year (1940-41) he left this position because in his judgement it involved teaching only the history of philosophy rather than philosophy. For a year he studied under Dietrich von Hildebrand and Jacques Maritain in New York City and in the fall of 1942 he obtained an assistant professorship in philosophy at Georgetown University where he taught for two years. It was during this time that he discerned a vocation to the Dominican Order.
On September 18, 1944, he entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, and was given the religious name Ralph. After making his first profession on September 19, 1945, he continued there with his philosophical and theological studies (1945-51), making his solemn profession on September 19, 1948. When St. Rose of Lima Priory was opened in Dubuque, Iowa, he was transferred to the new house of studies to complete his theological studies (1951-52) and was ordained a priest at St. Pius V Church, Chicago, Illinois, on June 1, 1951. He was to earn the Lectorate in Theology in 1954.
Father Powell's first assignment- was as a philosophy professor at De Paul University, Chicago, Illinois (1952-53), then as a professor at Rosary College, River Forest, Illinois (1953-54), and finally as a professor at the-Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy (Dominican House of Studies), River Forest, Illinois (1954-58, 1962-69). Teaching in the houses of study of the Order was to be his life's work. During this time he served as Assistant Master of Students (1952-55) and as a lecturer for the Thomist Association. His teaching at River Forest was interrupted for a period of four years (1958-62) when he served as Professor Extraordinarius at the University of St. Thomas Aquinas ("Angelicum"), Rome, Italy. In 1969 he moved to Dubuque, Iowa, where for ten years he was Professor of Philosophy and Religion at Aquinas Institute and was granted emeritus status in 1979. From 1979 until 1995 he engaged in full-time research and writing while teaching an occasional course or conducting an occasional seminar. He remained in Dubuque, Iowa, until the summer of 1981 when Aquinas Institute was moved to St. Louis, Missouri. He moved with his fellow Dominicans and resided at St. Louis Bertrand Priory in St. Louis. During these years he strove to produce a synthesis of his philosophical thought, publishing the book Freely Chosen Reality, collaborating with Dr. John Deely on Tractatus de Signis: The Semiotic of John Poinsot, and authoring numerous articles.
Beginning in 1995 he was assigned to limited service, although he continued his research and writing. He was diagnosed with cancer and eventually in May of 2001 it became necessary to move him to the Province's Juan Macias Care Center, River Forest, Illinois. His conditioned worsened and he was moved to Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, where he died on June 12, 2001. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, on June 16, 2001, and he was buried in the Dominican Plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
RICHARD HUGH WREISNER O.P.
Richard James Wreisner, the youngest of three children born to Richard David Wreisner and Winifred Frances Gleason, was born on January 22, 1930, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He began his grammar school education at Annunciation School in Minneapolis, and completed it in the public schools of Dassel and Deephaven, Minnesota. After graduating from Deephaven High School in 1948, he spent two years at St. Thomas College, St. Paul, Minnesota.
On August 30, 1950, he entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Minnesota, and was given the religious name Hugh. It was during this year that he suffered a convulsive attack, but doctors could not definitely determine its cause. Accordingly he was admitted to first profession on September 3, 1951. He was sent immediately to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, for philosophical studies and obtained his Ph.B. and Ph.L. degrees at the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy. The occurrence of a second attack in the summer of 1954 raised the possibility of an impediment to ordination and he accordingly renewed his simple vows. In the fall of 1954 he was transferred to St. Rose of Lima Priory, Dubuque, Iowa, to begin theological studies. As the doctors had every hope that his mild seizures could be controlled by medication, he was admitted to solemn profession on September 3, 1955. However, since the Sacred Congregation required absolute medical proof of a cure and no doctor was able to provide this, Brother Hugh could not be advanced to ordination. 'Nevertheless, he completed his theological studies and obtained an M.A. degree in 1958.
From 1958 to 1964 he was assigned to St. Pius Priory, Chicago, Illinois, and served as provincial secretary, editor of the Provincial Newsletter, and for a time instructor in moral theology and medical ethics at Little Company of Mary School of Nursing. In 1964 he returned to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, to serve as Registrar and Secretary to the President of Aquinas-Institute, School of Philosophy, positions which he occupied until 1970. He then joined the staff of the Center for Contemporary Celebration, Chicago (1970-72) and pursued one of his talents as a piano player. In July 1973 he began an extended leave of absence from the Order. His inability to carry our priestly ministry because of his epilepsy finally led him to request a dispensation from his solemn vows, a dispensation that was granted in October 1980. For several years he worked as a piano player.
With the publication of the New Code of Canon Law epilepsy was no longer considered an impediment to ordination and Hugo began to think again in terms of priestly ministry; in his heart he had always considered himself under vows. In early 1986 he was re-admitted to the Order and after a year of probation was permitted to make solemn profession. For two years he engaged in theological updating at Aquinas Institute of Theology, St. Louis, Missouri, and finally obtained his goal - ordination to the priesthood qn May 14, 1988. His first assignment as a priest was to be chaplain at St. Luke's Hospital and at the Veterans' Administration Hospital in Fargo, North Dakota (1988-89). He was then assigned to Albuquerque, New Mexico, as an associate pastor at the Aquinas Newman Center (1989-94) and served the community as superior for a term (1991-94). In 1994 he moved to Madison, Wisconsin, where he served St. Mary's Hospital as chaplain for four years. Because of increasing health problems he was assigned to limited service in 1999 and moved to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois where he provided parish supply as he was able.
On the morning of September 8, 2001, he collapsed unexpectedly and was rushed to Oak Park Hospital where artificial life support systems were required to keep his body functioning. As there was no indication of brain activity, the life support systems were removed according to his stated wishes and he died soon thereafter on the evening of September 8th.
Hugo will be remembered by his confreres for his Christmas productions which were preaching events that both entertained and instructed as well as for his wonderful sense of humor. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated for him on the evening of September 10, 2001, and he was buried the next day in the Dominican Plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
CHARLES REGINALD MALATESTA O.P.
Charles Joseph Malatesta, the son of Lawrence and Margaret (Peter) Malatesta, was born on July 28, 1916, in Mattoon, Illinois. He attended St. Joseph Grammar School in Mattoon and received his secondary education at Routt College High School, Jacksonville, Illinois (1931-32) and at Cathedral High School, Indianapolis, Indiana (1932-35). Upon graduation he attended Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island for two years.
In August of 1937 he entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, where he was given the religious name Reginald and where he made his first profession of vows on August 16, 1938. He was immediately transferred to the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, Illinois, for his philosophical studies (1938-41) and obtained a B.A. and M.A. in philosophy. When the Province of St. Albert the Great was established on December 22, 1939, he elected to become a member of the new Province. After making his solemn profession on August 16, 1941, Father Malatesta continued with his theological studies at River Forest (1941-45) and was ordained a priest there on June 8, 1944.
Father Malatesta's first assignment was to St. Dominic Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana, as assistant pastor (1945-48). In 1948 he was transferred to St. Vincent Ferrer Parish, River Forest, Illinois, where he served as assistant pastor and also began doctoral studies at the Dominican House of Studies nearby, eventually obtaining his S.T.Lr. and Ph.D. degrees in 1954. In 1949 he was assigned to the new novitiate house, St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Minnesota, and taught at the College of St. Teresa in Winona until 1953' During. this time he also served as Assistant Master of Novices and instructor in chant at the novitiate and as acting chaplain for the college for a year (1952-53). He was then assigned to St. Dominic House in Denver, Colorado, where he taught at Loretto Heights College for four years.
In 1957 Father Malatesta returned to River Forest, Illinois, to take up residence at St. Vincent Ferrer Parish and to begin an eleven-year ministry as a Mission Band Preacher. During this time he nourished his interest in spirituality by attending the summer courses at the Institute of Spirituality at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest. In 1959 he was assigned to St. Albert the Great Parish, Minneapolis, Minnesota, where he continued his preaching ministry and was head of the Northern Mission Band (1963-68). In 1968 he returned to New Orleans as chaplain at Dominican College for two years. After a sabbatical year he became one of the founding members of the Province's House of Prayer at St. Joseph Priory, Dallas, Texas (1971-72).
The Province called him to take on administrative duties in 1972 as Promoter of Studies for the Province, a service which he carried out for two years. He was then asked to serve as the Province's Promoter of the Dominican Laity (1974-79). During these years of administrative service he resided in several of the Chicago houses. In 1979 he joined the staff of Blessed Sacrament Parish, Madison, Wisconsin, as assistant pastor for three years, and was then transferred to St. Vincent Ferrer Parish, River Forest, Illinois, as a part-time assistant where he served for another three years. In 1986 Father Malatesta joined the chaplain staff at the Dominican Motherhouse, Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, ministering to the Sisters there and at St. Dominic Villa, Dubuque, Iowa, until 1990 when he was assigned to limited service with residence at St. Dominic Priory, St. Louis, Missouri. There he engaged in various part-time ministries outside the community and served the studentate community in several internal capacities.'
While in St. Louis Father Malatesta was diagnosed with cancer and by March of 2000 his health had reached the point at which the St. Louis community could no longer adequately care for him. He was then transferred to the Province's Juan Macias Care Center at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, where he continued to reside until his death. Although the cancer went into remission for a time, it became active again in the summer of 2001. This together with renal failure ied to his death on the evening of September 17, 2001. On September 20, 2001, his funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory and he was buried in the Dominican Plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
PATRICK MICHAEL JAMES CLANCY O.P.
Patrick Joseph Clancy, the eldest of the four children of George and Delia T. (Ryan) Clancy, was born in Chicago, Illinois, on February 20, 1912. He attended Visitation Grammar School and St. Rita Gammar School in Chicago and received his secondary education there at Archbishop Quigley Preparatory School. Desiring to become a Dominican, he then went to Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island (1930-32).
On August 15, 1932, he entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Rose Priory; Springfield, KY, and was given the religious name of Michael James. After completing his novitiate he made his first profession there on August 16, 1932, and areas assigned to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, for philosophical studies (1933-1936), obtaining a B.A. degree in philosophy. He was then sent to St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, where he made his solemn profession on August 16, 1936. Because of the number of student brothers at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C., his class remained in Somerset for their first three years of theology, thus earning them the nickname of the "Lost Battlion." On May 17, 1939, he was ordained at priest at Somerset and was then sent to Washington, D.C. for his fourth year of theology, where he earned the S.T.Lr. degree in 1940. When the Province of St. Albert the Great was established, he chose to become one of its founding members.
Upon completion of his initial studies he was sent to the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., to study Canon Law and obtained the J.C.D. degree in 1943. His first assignment was to the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, Illinois (1943-58) where he taught Canon Law, Moral Theology, Catechetics and Patrology. During this time he also taught at Rosary College (now Dominican University), River Forest, Illinois (1944-53), and served on the summer faculties of Canon Law Institutes for Sisters at St. Xavier College, Chicago Illinois (1947-52), and the College of St. Teresa, Winona, Minnesota (1951-52). At the same time Father Clancy served the Archdiocese of Chicago as an Assistant Chancellor and as a member of the Marriage Tribunal, first as Defender of the Bond (1944-53) and then as Pro-Synodal Judge (1952-58). It was during this time that the degree of Master of Sacred Theology was conferred upon him by the Order (November 10, 1953). In addition he assisted with the journal Cross and Crown as an associate editor and served a term as prior of St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois (1955-58).
In 1958 he was appointed Director of the Apostolic School of the Province, located at Smyth Hall, Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa, and was also assigned to teach at the college. In 1964 he was appointed socius and vicar provincial of the Province of St. Albert the Great. Father Clancy was often an advisor to congregations of Dominican Sisters and encouraged the development of secular institutes in the United States, especially that of Caritas Christi for which he was national chaplain (1961-65).
In 1967 he began a new phase of his ministry when he was appointed Assistant to the Master of the Order for the provinces of the United States and took up residence at the Convent of Santa Sabina, Rome, Italy, a ministry which continued until 1974. Towards the end of his term he began to teach in the School of Canon Law at the University of St. Thomas in Rome and upon completion of his service to the Master of the Order continued to teach there until 1984. He also served the community as prior of the Convent of Saint Dominic and Saint Sixtus for a term (1976-79).
In 1984 he returned to the United States and was assigned to be associate director of the Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus, with residence at St. Pius V Priory, Chicago, Illinois, and continued this ministry until 1991. In addition he provided parish assistance at St. Rita of Cascia Parish, Chicago (1984-87) and St. Germain Parish, Oak Lawn, Illinois (1988-90), was a faculty member for the Institute on Religious Life (1989-90), and served as Judge of the Appellate Court of the Marriage Tribunal of the Archdiocese of Chicago.
Because of advancing years and declining health he was assigned in 1991 to limited service in the Province with continued residence at St. Pius V Priory. Because of diabetes, heart problems, loss of sight and the early stages of kidney failure it was necessary for Father Clancy to move to Maryhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Glenview, Illinois, in September, 2000. Here, however, he found a new ministry presiding at Eucharist for the residents several times a week. In September, 2001, his decline in health became much more rapid and in the early hours of October 3rd he died in his sleep at the Center. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, on October 5, 2001, followed by burial at All Saints Cemetery,. Des Plaines, Illinois.
AMBROSE PETER WINDBACHER O.P.
Peter John Windbacher, the youngest of the three children of John F. and Mary E. (Puljung) Windbacher, was born on March 23, 1914, in Chicago, Illinois. He attended 0. A. Thorpe Grammar School and Lane Technical High School in Chicago. He then worked in the Chicago area until he was called to duty during World War II and served as a radio operator in the Air Force (1942-45) in North Africa, Corsica and Italy. His war experience drew him closer to God and when he returned to the United States he had already made a decision to become a priest.
He entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, on June 24, 1947, and was given the religious name of Ambrose. He made his first profession of vows on June 25, 1948, and immediately began his philosophical studies there at the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy in River Forest. Three years later he made his solemn profession on June 25, 1951, and was transferred to St. Rose of Lima Priory, Dubuque, Iowa, for his theological studies (1951-55). Bishop Loras Lane, auxiliary bishop of Dubuque, ordained him a priest there on May 27, 1954.
Father Windbacher was assigned to the Province's Vicariate in Nigeria, his first and only assignment. He began his duties as an associate pastor at St. Dominic Parish, Yaba, Lagos State, Nigeria, in 1955. During this time he served first as assistant to the Novice Master for Cooperator Brothers (1964-65) and then as Novice Master (1965-68). Soon he was appointed vocation director for the Vicariate (1966-72) and was responsible for bringing many of the present Nigerians into the Order. In September of 1972 he was appointed pastor and superior of St. Dominic Parish where he served until May of 1975 when he was elected Vicar Provincial. He served two terms as major superior, finishing this ministry to the Vicariate in 1983, and also served as the secretary for 26 Major Religious 'Orders of Men in Nigeria during this time.
Upon completion of his time as Vicar Provincial Father Windbacher returned to his original ministry as associate pastor at St. Dominic Parish in Yaba, always endeavoring to foster vocations for his beloved Nigeria. He was known affectionately to the parishioners as "Papa Amby." When the Vicariate was officially erected as an independent Vice-Province under the patronage of St. Joseph in Worker on April 2, 1985, his name was at the top of the list of those Dominicans who were to be affiliated to the new Vice-Province. In 1994 he transfiliated back to the Province of St. Albert the Great, but remained assigned to the Province of St. Joseph the Worker.
While in the United States in the late summer of 2001 to visit his sister, Sr. Mary Cephas O.P., he suffered a stroke and required hospitalization and rehabilitation. His one desire was to return to Nigeria and to die there. Although it seemed as though he were making sufficient progress to make the return trip to Nigeria, his condition worsened and he was hospitalized on October 7, 2001. Early on the morning of October 8 he died at Oak Park Hospital, Oak Park, Illinois. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, on October 10 and at the request of the Province of St. Joseph the Worker the remains of Father Windbacher were returned to Nigeria on October 23-24. Because of the petitions of the people Archbishop Anthony Okogie of Lagos, Nigeria, granted permission to bury Father Windbacher on the St. Dominic Church compound. A wake began on November 20 and continued through the night until the funeral Mass was celebrated on the morning of November 21, 2001. Burial was on the compound of St. Dominic Church; Yaba, Lagos State, Nigeria.
JOHN GERARD O'CONNELL O.P.
John Francis O'Connell, was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on September 1, 1915, one of six children born to Timothy J. and Margaret Mary (Harrington) O'Connell. He attended St. John the Evangelist Grammar School (1920-29) and St. John the Evangelist High School (1929-33) in Cambridge and then Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island (1933-37), where he earned a B.A. degree in Mathematics.
In August of 1937 he entered the Dominican Novitiate of the Province of St. Joseph at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, where he received the religious name Gerard. On August 16, 1938, he made his first profession of vows there and was transferred to St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, for his philosophical and theological studies (1938-45), obtaining a degree in philosophy. Having chosen to become one of the founding members of the Province of St. Albert the Great when it was established on December 22, 1939, he professed his solemn vows for the new province on August 16, 1941, and was ordained a priest at River Forest on June 8, 1944.
Following his theological studies he assigned to do advanced work in mathematics and physics at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin (1945-46), and was then assigned to the faculty of Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois, where he taught mathematics, English and religion (1946-51). In 1951 he was sent to St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Minnesota, where he served as novice master of lay brother candidates, assistant novice master of clerical candidates, and procurator of the priory. In addition he taught philosophy and theology at the College of St. Teresa in Winona. In 1956 was chosen to be the director of Smyth Hall at Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa, a residence for college students who were preparing to enter the novitiate. Here again he taught on the college faculty for the two years that he served as director. In May of 1958 he was appointed prior of St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, the house of studies for philosophy, and was elected to a second term in 1961.
Upon completion of his term as prior he asked to be assigned to pastoral work and became an assistant pastor at St. Albert the Great Parish, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1964-70). In 1970 be began a nine-month program at the Hazelden Center, Hazelden, Minnesota, and came to the conclusion that the need for priests trained to do alcoholic counseling was critical. He then began to prepare himself for this ministry, completing several quarters of Clinical Pastoral Education. For eighteen years (1972-90) he served as chaplain and alcoholic counselor, first at St. John's Hospital, St. Paul, Minnesota; and St. Mary's Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota, and then only at St. Mary's Hospital. During this time he took many through the fifth step of the Twelve Step Program of Alcoholics' Anonymous. From 1990 at the age of 75 until his death he was assigned to limited service, but continued to do fifth step ministry and assist in parishes in the Minneapolis area.
In 1993 he was diagnosed with cancer and while undergoing treatment continued to carry on his limited ministry. Because he had exhausted available treatments, in October of 2001 he entered Our Lady of Good Counsel Home, St. Paul, Minnesota, where he received hospice care. He died there on the evening of November 3, 2001. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Albert the Great Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota, on November 7, 2001 with burial in the Dominican Plot at St. Mary's Cemetery, in Minneapolis.