From the Acts of the XIV Provincial Chapter, June 9-26, 1994
THE LIVES OF THE BRETHREN 1990 -- 1994This section contains brief biographies of all the members of the Province who have died since the Thirteenth Provincial Chapter in 1990. The following list in in alphabetical order. Biographies are given in chronological order according to the dates of death.
Deceased Brothers Date of Death CARLSON, Edward Sebastian October 9,1990 DALEY, Colum Dennis Austin February 11,1994 FORQUER, Joseph Patrick George October 30,1990 FRUSTI, David Paul August 1,1991 HARTUNG, Martin Lloyd John Francis December 23, 1990 INGLING, Walter Joseph Francis Antoninus February 26,1992 MALONE, John Dominic March 7,1993 MARR, John Edmund May 29,1992 SCHWIND, John Ephrem February 25,1993
EDWARD SEBASTIAN CARLSON
Edward Carlson was born in Enderlin, North Dakota, on July 27, 1910, one of the five children (three sons, two daughters) of Wilhelm August Carlson and Anna Maria Kreuter. By the time he started school, the family had moved to Minneapolis where he attended Holy Rosary Parish School, 1916 to 1924, and De La Salle High School, 1924 to 1926. He completed his high school education at Aquinas College in Columbus, Ohio, from 1926 to 1928. The next two years were spent at Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island.
Edward entered the Dominican Order at age twenty and received the habit and religious name of Sebastian on August 15,1930, at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, Kentucky. Following first profession on August 16, 1931, he moved to the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, and earned a B.A. in philosophy. He continued with theological studies at St. Joseph Priory in Somerset, Ohio, 1934 to 1935, then at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C., from 1935 to 1937.
He was ordained to the priesthood on June 11, 1937, at St. Dominic's Church in Washington, D.C., by the Most Reverend Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore. Father Carlson was then sent to continue theological studies at the Pontifical Institute of St. Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum) in Rome where he received a doctorate in theology in 1940.
From 1940 until 1962, Father Carlson taught philosophy, theology and biblical Greek at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois. During that time he was also a professor of apologetics and theology at Rosary College, River Forest, Illinois, and lecturer at De Paul University and the Shiel School of Social Studies in Chicago. Additional ministries during this period included his service as Master of Studies, 1946 to 1948; Regent of Studies and President of the Pontifical Faculty of St. Thomas Aquinas, River Forest, Illinois,1948 to 1962; director of the University of Chicago Chapter of the Dominican Third Order, 1941 to 1946; spiritual director of the Martin de Porres Interracial Center, Chicago, 1941 to 1946; and lecturer for The Thomist Association, 1942 to 1962. From 1960 to 1970, he served as the Secretary General of The Thomist Association.
On November 5,1952, Father Emmanuel Suarez, Master General of the Order, conferred the S.T.M. (Master of Sacred Theology) on Father Carlson. During the course of his academic life, he had published a volume, entitled, The Virtue of Humility (Dubuque, IA: Brown Publishing, 1952), several pamphlets, and numerous articles in The New Catholic Encyclopedia, The Thomist, Cross and Crown (more recently entitled Spirituality Today), The New World (Chicago Archdiocesan weekly), and other journals. He also established and was the first Regional Secretary of the Chicago Region of the College Theology Society, then known as the Society of Catholic College Teachers of Sacred Doctrine (SCCTSD).
After a one-year sabbatical at the University of St. Thomas Aquinas in Rome, 1962 to 1963, Father Carlson was invited to join the Angelicum faculty. Thus, from 1964 until 1973, Father Carlson commuted between Rome and Dubuque, Iowa, teaching systematic theology for one semester each year at the Angelicum and systematic theology and contemporary Protestant theology for one semester each year at Aquinas Institute in Dubuque.
In 1973, at the age of sixty-three and in declining health, Father Carlson undertook a new ministry as parish administrator of Sacred Heart Parish in Kinsman, Illinois, where he served for seven years. From 1980 to 1984, he served as chaplain to the Christian Brothers at Lewis University in Romeoville, Illinois.
Following a diagnosis of Alzheimer disease, Father Carlson was moved to the Priory of St. Thomas Aquinas in River Forest, where he remained until his death from pneumonia on October 9, 1990. The funeral Mass was celebrated on October 12 in the Priory chapel, and Father Carlson was laid to rest with his Dominican brothers in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
JOSEPH PATRICK GEORGE FORQUER
Born in New Lexington, Ohio, on October 9,1909, Joseph Patrick Forquer was the second of the six children of Lydia Mary Berry and George Ambrose Forquer. He attended St. Rose Grammar School in New Lexington, 1915 to 1923, and Mount St. Mary's High School in Emmitsburg, Maryland, 1923 to 1927. In 1928 he enrolled in the Office Training Business School in Columbus, Ohio, and later attended Mount St. Mary's college in Emmitsburg, Maryland, 1933 to 1934, and Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island,1934 to 1935.
On August 15, 1935, Joseph Patrick entered the Order, receiving the Dominican habit and religious name of George at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky. First profession was made on August 16, 1936, after which he moved to the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, to study philosophy and theology. When the Province of St. Albert the Great was established in 1939, Brother George chose to affiliate with the new Province. On June11,1942,he was ordained to the priesthood by the Most Reverend Bernard Shiel, Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago, in the priory chapel in River Forest. He then continued his theological studies for another year.
In 1943, Father Forquer was sent to St. Dominic's Church in Denver, Colorado, where he served as assistant pastor and after 1951, as pastor. He also served the Dominican community in Denver as procurator during this time. Following fourteen years in Denver, in 1957, he was next assigned as assistant pastor at St. Pius V Church in Chicago where he also became involved in the ministry of the Shrine of St. Jude Thaddeus located there. In 1961, he was appointed Director of the Shrine and served in this position for almost twenty years. In addition, he served the Dominican community at St. Pius V Priory as subprior,1957 to 1964, and the Province as Economic Administrator, 1966to 1968. After 1980, Father Forquer continued to serve the clients of the Shrine of St. Jude on a more limited basis until ill health compelled him to retire in 1989.
Shortly before his death, it had been found necessary to move Father Forquerinto a nursing home; to place him closer to his family, he resided at Assumption Nursing Home in Youngstown, Ohio, where he was able to enjoy the company of other Dominicans from the Eastern Province as well. He died peacefully on the morning of October 30,1990. Following a Mass of Christian Burial celebrated on Friday, November 2, at St. Dominic's Church in Youngstown, he was buried in the Dominican plot at Calvary Cemetery, Youngstown, Ohio.
A special Memorial Mass was celebrated at St. Pius V Church in Chicago on November 8, 1990, to afford the brethren, the Shrine staff and the clients of St. Jude an opportunity to honor the memory of Joseph George Forquer and his ministry at the Shrine.
In May of 1987, Father Forquer was honored at a Mass of Thanksgiving for his forty-five years of priesthood and thirty years of ministry at the Shrine of St. Jude. Following is an excerpt from the Shrine publication, The St. Jude Chronicle: "Father Forquer has touched thousands of lives during forty-five years of ministry, thirty of them at the Shrine. So many people are deeply grateful for what he has done for them by his care and concern. The Dominicans of the Province of St. Albert the Great are grateful for his years of dedication and service."
MARTIN LLOYD JOHN FRANCIS HARTUNG
Lloyd John Hartung was born in Dickeyville, Wisconsin, on August 28, 1916, the second of nine children of Leonard John and Dorothy (Dora) Weber Hartung. He attended Pleasant View Grammar School, Vinegar Hill, Galena, Illinois from 1922 to 1930, and received the Confirmation name, Francis, at St. Francis de Sales Church in Hazel Green, Wisconsin in November, 1928. The next ten years were spent with his family, working on the farm in Hazel Green. Between 1940 and 1952, he worked for the Sinsinawa Dominican Sisters, both on their farm and as a maintenance man, "a real handy man." For the next two years he worked in Dubuque, saved his earnings and in the summer of 1954 took a trip to Rome before entering the Order.
Lloyd Hartung entered the Order as a novice cooperator brother on October 3, 1954, at St. Peter Martyr Priory in Winona, Minnesota, and received the habit and his religious name of Martin on April 5,1955. A year later he made first profession, then continued in formation and maintenance duties at Winona until August of 1963 when he was assigned to St. Dominic Priory in Oak Park, Illinois where he worked as janitor for both the Priory and Fenwick High School.
Brother Martin was assigned to the Bolivian missions in August of 1964 and en route was sent to the language school of the St. James Fathers in Lima to learn Spanish. He wrote that his lack of education deterred him from learning the language well, especially grammar, and later after several years in Bolivia, that he was still not very proficient in Spanish but that "if a man can bring lots of get-up-in-the-morning-and-go, and an interest in helping the people in a very simple way, more by example than by word, he's bringing enough."
In May of 1972, Brother Martin returned to the States for a home visit and was then asked to assist with the maintenance work at St. Rose Priory and Aquinas Institute in Dubuque, Iowa. His work there included maintenance of the grounds and cars as well as working with the other brothers on the maintenance and repair of the buildings. In 1981, when Aquinas Institute of Theology was moved to its present location at St. Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri, Martin remained in Dubuque as caretaker of the facility until the property was sold to Emmaus Bible College in 1984. Once his duties had been taken over by College personnel, he moved to the Priory of St. Thomas Aquinas in River Forest, Illinois, to assist with the care of the grounds and physical plant there.
In late December, 1990, Brother Martin went to Mexico on vacation. On December 23, while touring the central plaza in Oaxaca, Mexico, he died of a massive heart attack. Following the celebration of a Mass of Christian Burial at the Priory of St. Thomas Aquinas in River Forest, Illinois, he was buried in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois, on December 29, 1990.
DAVID PAUL FRUSTI
On January 28,1950, in Hancock, Michigan, David Paul Frusti was born to Paul Emil and Bertha Ylinen Frusti,the first of their five sons. In February, he was baptized into the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church of his parents. He attended grammar school and junior high in the Livonia public school system in Westland, Michigan, then Franklin High School in Livonia, Michigan.
In 1968 he began studies at Monteith College at Wayne State University in Detroit, majoring in philosophy and with some emphasis on business administration and social sciences. During this time he also worked as a switchboard operator and secretary for the University. In 1975, he obtained a Ph.B. David then moved on to Cambridge (Boston), Massachusetts where he was employed as supervisor of the information center at Harvard University from August, 1973 until June, 1980.
Always involved in church activities -- leader of a youth group, choir member, financial assistant, counselor/cook at a church-sponsored underprivileged youth camp, Sunday school teacher, acolyte -- he had seriously considered the Lutheran ministry as early as high school. Later, he was introduced to a Swedish Lutheran monk, director of St. Augustine's Retreat House in Oxford, Michigan, which had been established to promote ecumenical dialogue between faiths; from 1971 to 1978, David was a member of the St. Augustine's fellowship, struggling for direction in his life.
In 1972, he realized that he wanted to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church, but hesitated because of the pain he might cause his parents. On Trinity Sunday, May 25,1975, David was accepted into the Catholic Church at St. Clement's Student Parish in Boston.
From 1974 to 1978, David was an active member of Dignity, seeing it as "a chance to minister to other Christians," and working as spiritual development chairman, social action chairman, and from 1977 to 1978 as director of the New England Region.
In an effort to increase his experience in the business world, David moved to Santa Monica, California, to work as production manager in a mail service and print shop from 1980 to 1982. Feeling this was not to be his career and given family needs, he returned to the Midwest in 1983 and settled in Chicago, working at odd jobs until his future in religious life could be decided. Over a period of twenty years and after meeting many religious, David came to appreciate St. Dominic, the preaching apostolate of the Dominican Order, and his own need for community life. Hence, in March of 1983, at the age of thirty-three, he applied for admission to the Dominican Order.
After completing his novitiate year in Denver, Brother David made first profession on August 19, 1984, then moved to St. Dominic Priory in St. Louis, Missouri, for theological studies at Aquinas Institute of Theology. In 1986, in addition to work on his theological degree, David undertook studies at St. Louis University to achieve a Master of Social Work. However, given ill health he was forced to withdraw from the latter program in the summer of 1987.
When David's health did not improve, testing resulted in a diagnosis of AIDS. As his health continued to decline, he was forced to desist from all study and moved to St. Pius V Priory in Chicago, Illinois. There he began a ministry to other AIDS patients and their families and travelled throughout the Province in an effort to educate others about this ministry.
David spent the greater part of 1991 at Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago. He died there on August 1, 1991. Following the celebration of a Mass of Christian Burial at St. Pius V Church in Chicago he was buried in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois, on Saturday, August 3,1991.
WALTER JOSEPH FRANCIS ANTONINUS INGLING
Walter Joseph Ingling was born in Denver, Colorado, on June 22, 1929, the first of the three children of Katherine Anna Haggerty and John J. Ingling. He attended St. Dominic Grammar School in Denver, 1935 to 1943, and Cathedral High School, 1943to 1946, both in Denver. Having expressed interest in entering the Dominican Order, he then spent two years studying at Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa.
Walter formally entered the Order on June 24, 1948, receiving the Dominican habit from Father John E. Marr at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory in Fiver Forest, Illinois. He was given the religious name of Antoninus. First profession was made on June 25, 1949, after which he continued studies in philosophy and theology at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, receiving an M.A. in philosophy in 1952. After a year of theology at St. Rose Priory in Dubuque, Iowa, Brother Antoninus was sent to the Pontifical Institute of St. Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum) in Rome to continue theological studies, with emphasis on moral theology. While in Rome, he was ordained to the priesthood on December 18, 1954, at the General House of the Priests of the Sacred Heart. He continued his theological studies, receiving the S.T.Lr.in 1956. That summer he returned to the United States.
From Fall of 1956 through June of 1960, Father Ingling was assigned to teach philosophy and theology at Xavier University in New Orleans, Louisiana, and assumed duties as chairman of that department as well In Fall of 1960, he became chairman and professor of philosophy and theology at the College of St. Joseph in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His next assignment was as Director of the Society for Vocational Support from 1964 to 1966.
In June of 1966, he was awarded a one-year fellowship in religion and psychiatry at The Menninger Foundation in Topeka, Kansas, and followed this with a two-year period of clinical pastoral education there, also serving as acting chairman and professor of theology at St. Mary College in Leavenworth, Kansas, from 1967 to 1969. During this time he began a doctorate program in theology at the University of Dubuque, Iowa. From 1969 to 1971, he served as clinical chaplain and supervisor at Kansas Neurological Institute in Topeka.
In 1971 Father Ingling was appointed assistant director of the Catholic Social Service Office of the Archdiocese of Kansas City, Kansas. As part of his ministry, he founded and directed the Religious Education and Activities for the Community Handicapped (R.E.A.C.H.) Program, a ministry in which he remained involved even after leaving the Kansas City area. He also served as a marriage and family counsellor for the Archdiocese, as well as chaplain for Good Shepherd Manor, a residential care center for developmentally disabled men. In addition to his varied ministries, he was elected Prior of the Holy Name Community in Kansas City in 1972.
Walter's next assignment was to provincial administration. From 1975 until 1981, he served in several capacities: Provincial Promoter of Continuing Education, Director of the Provincial Aging and Limited Service Program, Personnel Development Coordinator, and Vicar Provincial. He also became active in the National Organization for Continuing Education of Roman Catholic Clergy (NOCERCC). In 1981 he responded to a call from the Master of the Order and served for two years as Assistant to the Master for the Provinces in the United States and Malta. After a short sabbatical, he assumed the positions of spiritual director and counsellor at St. Michael's Center in St. Louis. In 1987, upon his election as Prior of the St. Dominic Community in Denver, Colorado, he ministered as a hospital chaplain until 1989 when he was appointed parochial vicar of St. Dominic Parish in Denver. When his term as Prior was completed, Walt entered a full-time ministry of preaching, based first at St. Vincent Ferrer Priory in River Forest, Illinois and, after 1991, at St. Pius V Priory in Chicago, Illinois. In addition to his duties as preacher for the FOOD FOR THE POOR organization, he served as Provincial Promoter of Social justice.
Several days after undergoing gall bladder surgery, Father Ingling returned to St. Pius V Priory where he died early in the morning of February 26, 1992. A wake was held on Friday, February 28, in the Priory chapel and a Memorial Mass was celebrated at St. Pius V Church on February 29, after which he was moved to St. Dominic Church in Denver. There, following an afternoon wake, a Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Sunday evening, March 1. Interment took place the following day in Mount Olivet Cemetery outside of Denver, Colorado.
In addition to the foregoing ministries Walt, throughout his priestly life, served on many provincial boards and committees, especially for admissions, formation, and continuing education of his brothers. In perusing his file, the phrase, "I'm willing and eager to try," appears continually in his letters. Walt was indeed a joyful friar. One of the finest tributes to him was written by Father Damian Fandal, one of the Provincials under whom he served as Vicar: "Walter has been a terribly strong support to me, as he was to my predecessor, in his role as Vicar Provincial. He is a fine administrator and an extremely hard worker. We shall miss him keenly..."
JOHN EDMUND MARR
John Marr was born in Cold Spring, New York, on August 30, 1906,the third of five children born to Mary Frances McKenna and John Henry Marr. His sister, Anne McGovern, of Point Pleasant, New Jersey, survives him. After completing grade school at St. Leo Grammar School, Irvington, New York, he did high school studies at Seton Hall Prep and Maryknoll Preparatory College, Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania. Two years of college at Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island, preceded his entry into the novitiate at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, in August of 1927. Following his first profession of vows there on August 16,1928, he was sent to the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, where he received his A.B. degree. His ordination to the priesthood on June 14, 1934, followed theological studies at Somerset, Ohio, and Washington, D.C. After ordination he undertook further theological studies at the Angelicum in Rome, where he received the S.T.L. and the S.T.Lr. Conferral of the S.T.D. by the University of Fribourg in 1937 completed his formal theological studies.
Following these studies Father Marr returned to the House of Studies in River Forest to teach philosophy and theology, a position he held until 1952. During his years at the house of Studies he also taught philosophy at De Paul University and served as Assistant Student Master in the Province. In 1946, his Dominican brothers elected him Prior of the House of Studies. Upon the completion of two terms as Prior he was appointed Pastor of St. Anthony of Padua Parish in New Orleans, where he also served as Prior.
As a testimony to his years of teaching, the Dominican Order in 1952 conferred on him its highest theological honor, the degree of Master in Sacred Theology. Honorary degrees from Loras College, Dubuque, Iowa, and St. Xavier College, Chicago, Illinois, were a further tribute to his efforts to advance Catholic higher education.
In 1956, the Dominican Province of St. Albert the Great chose him as Provincial, a position he held for eight years. Following this he returned to parochial ministry as associate pastor at St. Vincent Ferrer Parish in River Forest, Illinois. He also served as regional director of the St. Thomas Aquinas Foundation (STAF), in which position he helped provide support for the efforts of scholars working to complete the Leonine Edition, a critical text of the works of St. Thomas Aquinas. As he grew older Father Marr's ministry focused on the needs of the elderly, both within his Province and for those who lived in nursing homes. He served his Province as the Director of the Dominican Retirement Fund. Each Sunday he celebrated the Eucharist for the residents of Woodbine Nursing Home.
On April 3, 1992, Father Marr suffered a severe stroke. After several weeks in Oak Park Hospital he was moved to St. Patrick's Home, Naperville, Illinois, where he died on May 29, 1992. After a Mass of Christian Burial celebrated at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, he was buried in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
JOHN EPHREM SCHWIND
Father John Schwind was born in Oak Park, Illinois, on April 28, 1931, of Harold Patrick and Marian Edith (Murphy) Schwind. He attended Ascension Grade School and Fenwick High School in Oak Park. After receiving the Bachelor of Arts degree from St. Mary's College, Winona, Minnesota (1952) he entered the Dominican Novitiate in Winona, where he made his first profession on August 31, 1953. He completed his philosophical studies at the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy, River Forest, Illinois, where he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy in 1956. After completing his theological studies and receiving a Master of Divinity from Aquinas Institute of Theology, Dubuque, Iowa, he was ordained to the priesthood on May 23, 1959, by Archbishop Leo Binz.
From 1960 to 1977 Father Schwind taught at Fenwick High School, serving as instructor and chairman of the Department of History and Social Studies and also as instructor and chairman of the Department of Religious Studies. While at Fenwick he undertook further studies at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., where he was awarded the Master of Arts degree. In addition to his academic tasks Father Schwind was Director of Alumni Activites and Development.
Two years of service as associate pastor, Holy Rosary Parish, Minneapolis, Minnesota, was followed by two years as campus minister at Rosary College, River Forest. Continuing his career in campus ministry, Father Schwind became campus minister at St. John Student Parish, where he served from 1981 to 1987. The next two years found him in a similar role at Aquinas Newman Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico. A year of sabbatical studies prepared him to take up the post of campus minister at Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida.
During the last two years Father Schwind had been associate pastor at San Marco Parish, Marco Island, Florida. He died unexpectedly of a heart attack while jogging Thursday, February 25,1993. He is survived by his brother, Harold A. Schwind, of Edina, Minnesota, and sister, Mrs. Thomas E. Doyle of Burr Ridge, Illinois.
A wake and Mass were celebrated at San Marco Church on Sunday, February 28 and Monday, March 1. The body was then brought to the chapel of St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, where it lay in state on Tuesday, March 2; a wake service was held that evening. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Wednesday morning, March 3, at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, with burial following in the Dominican plot in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.
JOHN DOMINIC MALONE
Father John Dominic Malone was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on December 6, 1904. Both his parents were immigrants, his father, Thomas Malone, having been born in London, and his mother, Emma McDermott, having come from Ireland. During his grade school years at St. Malachy Parish, John served Mass for Dominicans who came to the parish to preach, and it was not strange that he decided to pursue a Dominican vocation. Consequently he attended St. Charles College, a seminary preparatory school in Catonsville, Maryland. After two years at Providence College, he received the Dominican habit and entered the novitiate at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky. After making his first profession there September 11, 1927, he moved to the Dominican House of Studies, River Forest, Illinois, for his philosophical studies. St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, and the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C., were the sites of his theological studies. Along with his theological studies in Washington he earned the degree of M.A. in Economics from the Catholic University of America.
After his ordination to the priesthood, June 17, 1933, and the completion of his theological studies Father Malone served as chaplain and instructor of religion at Edgewood High School, Madison, Wisconsin. Following this brief assignment he moved to Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois, to begin a twenty-eight-year career as a teacher of economics, social sciences, religion, and church history. During the time of his teaching Father Malone continued to take courses in his field to keep abreast of current ideas.
In 1963, Father Malone was assigned to Holy Rosary Priory in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In addition to parish ministry he began an extended career as Director of the Holy Name Society for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. During his tenure he was a regular contributor to The Vercellian News, the publication of the Archdiocesan Holy Name Society. After completing a quarter of clinical pastoral education at Lutheran Deaconess Hospital he served as chaplain in the same hospital.
During his teaching and pastoral careers, Father Malone received many honors. St. Louis University recognized him for his research in the socio-economic doctrine of St. Thomas Aquinas. In 1972 he received the Medallion Circle Award from the Holy Name Society of St. Paul and Minneapolis. Three years later the National Office of the Holy Name Society awarded him the Father McKenna Award, the highest award that the Holy Name Society can bestow on a priest working for the Society. In 1988 Father Malone received the Gregorian Award from the St. Paul and Minneapolis Holy Name Society.
The year 1981 saw Father Malone's return to Chicago. The Provincial of the Province of St. Albert the Great assigned him there to work with the Alumni Office of Fenwick High School, since his long years of work at Fenwick had made him a familiar figure to generations of Feiiwick students.
Father Malone celebrated the golden jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood in 1983. He was looking to and planning the celebration of sixty years as a priest in June of 1993,butthis was not to be. The spread of bone cancer forced first hospitalization and then residence at Woodbine Convalescent Home in Oak Park, Illinois. He died peacefully there on Sunday afternoon, March 7, 1993. After a wake service on March 10 and the Mass of Christian Burial on March 11 at St. Thomas Aquinas Priory in River Forest, he was interred in the Dominican plot at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois.
Two brothers preceded Father Malone in death. He is survived by his sister, Mrs. Edward (Ellen) Diehl and nieces and nephews.
COLUM DENNIS AUSTIN DALEY
Dennis Austin Daley was born in Peoria, Illinois, on August 25, 1930, the only child of Lawrence A. and Alfreda Zeller Daley. His primary education was taken at St. Mark Catholic Grade School in Peoria, 1936to 1938, and Washington Public School in Washington, Illinois,1938to 1944. He attended Spalding Insdtute in Peoria, 1944to 1948, for his seconadary education, then went on to Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa, 1948 to 1950.
In late Summer of 1950, he entered the Dominican Order, receiving the habit and his religious name of Colum on August 30 of that year, at St. Peter Martyr Priory in Winona, Minnesota. First profession was made on August 31, 1951, after which he moved to the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, to study philosophy, attaining the degree of B.Ph. in 1953. He then moved on to St. Rose Priory and Aquinas Institute in Dubuque, Iowa for his theological studies. On May 25, 1957, he was ordained to the priesthood in Dubuque, then completed another year of studies there in theology.
Because he had carpentry and other practical skills, Father Daley was assigned to the young Dominican mission in Nigeria, arriving in Kano on June 15, 1958. Over the years he learned to speak the Hausa, Yoruba, and Igbo languages. And over the years he served not only as a pastoral minister, but as mechanic, engineer for the emergency electric generator, and in many other practical capacities in mission life.
His first assignment was as associate pastor at Our Lady of Fatima Church in Gusau;in addition to the main parish, the missionaries served several outstations, some of which grew quickly and became parishes in their own right. Following his first home leave in 1961, he opened the parish of St. Vincent Ferrer in Malumfashi, one of the outstations of Gusau, while living in a mud but with a grass roof. In late April, 1964, he established St. Martin de Porres Church in Katsina but had to leave it after the civil riots of June, 1966, and thus went to serve at St. Dominic's Church in Yaba.
From 1968 to 1974, he helped establish the Dominican house and novitiate at Ibadan. He returned to St. Dominic Parish in Yaba to serve as pastor and community superior from 1975 to 1981, and worked at the Marriage Tribunal of the Archdiocese of Lagos from 1979 to 1981.
In 1981, he once again moved to the Dominican Community in Ibadan where he undertook the position of Officialis of the Dioceses of Lagos, Ibadan,and Ijebu-Ode, as well as to continue working in Canon Law, preaching and writing. From 1984 to 1988 he served as Vicariate Councillor and as judicial Vicar for the Lagos Interdiocesan Tribunal and the Diocese of Issele-Uku. In 1984, he was appointed a member of the Canon Law Commission of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), a position which he held until his death.
When the Vice-Province of Nigeria was established by the Master of the Order (April 2, 1985), he elected to affiliate with the new Vice-Province. In addition to his duties for the dioceses, he served as associate pastor at Agbor from 1985 to 1988, when he was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Fatima Church in Gusau, Sokota State, as well as Promoter of Permanent Formation for the Vice-Province.
While on home leave in May of 1993, Father Daley had an operation to remove a malignant growth. Although he was advised that he was in the terminal stages of cancer and should stay in the States for the best medical treatment, he preferred to return to his work in Nigeria.
Colum died shortly after midnight on February 11,1994, surrounded by six of the brethren. Father Windbacher wrote:
"Colum's death came on quickly once his condition began to degenerate. They could do nothing for him up at Gusau and so sent him to the hospital in Ibadan .... They discovered that he needed blood and kept giving him blood transfusions. That didn't help. Colum knew he was dying... and died a beautiful death, a Dominican death, with the Fathers around him. He was anointed, the Salve was sung, he received Viaticum. He called in the nurses and thanked them for the good food. He called in the doctors and said, 'You have tried, but you have failed ...I'm dying.' They began the rosary. At the fourth decade he slumped over in his chair and slept in the Lord."
Father Windbacher added that Colum Daley lived his life in obedience according to his vow. During his last moments on earth, he was full of life and courage, a challenge to his Dominican brothers.
A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on February 15. Bishop A. O. Okogie was the chief celebrant. Concelebrating with him were Bishop S.A. Sanusi, bishop emeritus of Ijebu-Ode, Bishop A.O. Gbuji of Issele-Uku, Bishop A. Fasina of Ijebu-Ode, Bishop Ayo-Maria Atoyebi, O.P., of Ilorin, and over a hundred priests. Many religious sisters and brothers, state dignitaries, and traditional chiefs from the various ethnic groups of the country, as well as parishioners from Gusau, attended the funeral. Father Peter Otillio delivered the homily. He spoke of Father Daley's great sense of humor, even during his last hours, and said that none of us was created not to be in heaven, and that heaven would not be complete without Father Colum Daley. Immediately after Mass, priests carried the remains of Father Daley to his resting place in the Dominican Community cemetery in Samonda, Ibadan.