This section contains brief biographies of all the members of the Province who have died since the Second Provincial Chapter.

Egan, John Thomas AnselmOctober 9, 1988
Farrell, William PatrickFebruary 8, 1989
Lux, Lawrence Vincent FerrerFebruary 17, 1989
Norton, Alfred AnthonyFebruary 25, 1989
Weber, Lucius M.April 24, 1989
Goetz, Stephen GravesSeptember 30, 1989
Curry, Timothy Louis BertrandAugust 15, 1990
Larcher, Fabian RichardFebruary 14, 1991
Scullion, Matthew RaymondFebruary 17, 1991
Hamel, Anthony HenryJuly 10, 1991
Caverly, John WalterSeptember 26, 1991
Baragano, Avelino GonzalezJune 8, 1992
Leuer, Mark RichardDecember 3, 1992
Barrett, Paul VignotApril 25, 1993

John Thomas Anselm Egan

John Egan was born on December 7, 1934, to Lawrence J. and Mary Kramer Egan in Flushing, New York. John was raised and educated in New York. In 1952 he entered Providence College. Two years later, John entered the novitiate for the Province of St. Joseph at St. Stephen Priory in Dover, MA. John made his first profession on August 16, 1955. Upon completion of theological studies in Washington, John was ordained to the priesthood at St. Dominic's in Washington on June 9, 1961.

John's first assignment was to St. Catharine of Siena in New York where he ministered to the sick as a hospital chaplain. He then joined the preaching band at St. Stephen's in Dover. During his for on the preaching band, John developed a deep reverence for the Word of God. He grew in his preaching skills and became a dynamic preacher.

In 1968, John was sent to Springbank Christian Center in Kingstree, SC, where he began ten years of ministry in this very poor, predominantly Black, area. In addition to preaching and retreat work in South Carolina, John also taught in the public high schools. John was a courageous proponent of justice during this era of unrest. During these years, John grew to love the people of the South, where he was to spend the rest of his life.

John was instrumental in the foundation of the Southern Province of St. Martin de Porres in 1979. In 1980, he became novice director for the new Province at St. Martin de Porres Parish in Columbia, SC. John continued formation work by becoming vocation director in 1986. At this time he moved to St. Anthony of Padua in New Orleans. As novice and vocation director, John had a profound influence on the young members of the new Province. His passion for preaching and the Dominican Order, and his deep prayer life were known to all who lived or ministered with him. In May, 1988, John was elected to the provincial council.

John died suddenly of a massive heart attack at St. Anthony's on October 9, 1988, the feast of St. Louis Bertrand, patron of novice directors. He had just returned from a vocation trip to Texas. Dominican men and women came from all corners of the Province to attend his funeral at St. Anthony's on October 12. He was buried the next day at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula, LA. John's death is a great loss to the Province and Order that he so loved.

William Patrick Farrell

Bill Farrell was born in Rochester, NY, on December 18, 1936. Bill attended St. Monica's Elementary School and Aquinas Institute High School in Rochester. He studied European History for three years at the University of Toronto before transferring to Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa. He received a BA in History from Loras in 1958. That same year, ie entered the novitiate for St. Albert's Province in Winona, Minnesota. On August 31, 1959, Bill made his first profession. le went on to study philosophy in River Forest, Illinois, and theology at Aquinas Institute in Dubuque, Iowa. Bill was ordained to the priesthood on June 5, 1965.

Bill had a rich and varied priestly ministry. He began with teaching high school at Fenwick in Chicago and Bishop Lynch in Dallas. In 1971 he served as associate pastor at Our Lady of Grace Parish in Edina, Minnesota. Bill worked with the Catholic Charismatic Movement and was active in high school retreats in Minnesota.

In 1973 Bill went to Louisiana as chaplain at Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond. During this period, his health began to deteriorate and he began to lose his sight due to diabetes. Despite his illness, he continued to be active in ministry. He moved to St. Dominic's Priory in New Orleans in 1975 and worked part time at Mount Carmel Academy. He also became active in the Marriage Encounter movement, and in 1977 vas named to the World Board of Marriage Encounter. Bill also served as chaplain at Dominican College in New Orleans from 1976-1978.

In his last years, Bill became increasingly limited in his ministerial service. He continued to work with Marriage Encounter as well as the blind. He was named Archdiocesan Chaplain for the Handicapped. Bill's perseverance and courage, despite his infirmities, were a great witness to all who knew him. During his final year, Bill returned to Rochester so he could be near his family. He died in Rochester on Ash Wednesday, February 8, 1989. Bill's Mass of Christian Burial at St. Dominic's in New Orleans on February 13 was well attended by Dominican men and women as well as many others who mourned his loss. He is buried at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula, Louisiana.

Lawrence Vincent Ferrer Lux

Larry Lux was born to George and Helen Mroshinski Lux in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on May 9, 1913. Larry attended Providence College in Providence, Rhode Island, and entered the novitiate at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, Kentucky, in 1938. He made his first profession at St. Rose on August 16, 1939. Larry completed his philosophical and theological studies at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 8, 1944.

Larry's priestly life was marked by a joyful love for people and a commitment to preaching and pastoral ministry. His ministries include: procurator and chaplain, St. Martin's Center, Chicago, IL (1944-49); pastor, St. Martin's, Amarillo, TX (1949-56); pastor, Holy Name, Kansas City, KS (1956-61); assistant, Holy Rosary, Minneapolis, MN (1961-72); assistant pastor, St. Margaret, Boyce, LA 972-81).

In 1981 Larry became administrator of St. Ann in Kingstree, SC, where he served until his death on February 17, 1989. Larry was well known to the Dominican Community at the Springbank Christian Center near Kingstree where he often visited during his years in South Carolina. The novitiate in nearby Columbia was also blessed by Larry's presence on many occasions. His enthusiastic spirit endeared him to everyone. Little St. Ann's Church was overflowing with Dominicans, parishioners, and others who loved Larry, for his Mass of Christian burial on February 20, 1989. He is buried in St. Patrick Cemetery in Columbia, SC.

Alfred Anthony Norton

Alfred Anthony NortonTony was born to Alfred and Mayme Gorge Norton on December 24, 1911, in Harbor Springs, MI. He made religious profession on August 16, 1933, and was ordained to the priesthood on May 17, 1939.

The following year Tony went to Manila as a professor and post-graduate student at the University of Santo Tomas. Much of Tony's work for the next two decades involved the teaching of philosophy at River Forest, IL (1945-51); St. Rose, Dubuque (1951-61), where he was also master of studies and prior (1955-61); and the University of Dallas, where Tony served as chairman of the philosophy department (1961-68).

Tony's ministry moved from the academic to the pastoral realm for the final two decades of his life. Among his assignments were: chaplain, Siena Center, Racine, WI; hospital chaplain, Galveston, TX; chaplain to the Dominican nuns in Lufkin, TX; assistant pastor, St. Anthony of Padua, New Orleans, LA; and assistant pastor, St. Joseph's, Ponchatoula, LA.

In 1983 he began his final assignment as associate pastor at St. Martin de Porres in Columbia, SC. Tony continued to read and study philosophy and theology throughout his life. His life was characterized by the balance between the intellectual and the pastoral life. He was known both for his keen mind and his generous spirit. It is fitting that Tony spent his last years living with the novices who learned so much from him about what it is to be a Dominican. Tony died of heart failure in Columbia on February 25, 1989. His funeral was held at St. Martin de Porres on February 28, 1989. He is buried at St. Patrick's Cemetery in Columbia, SC.

Lucius M. Weber

Lucius Weber was born to Antonie Poll and Eduard Weber in Kulmbach, Germany, on August 5, 1931. Lucius attended school in Germany and Austria and worked as a baker before entering the Dominican novitiate in Warburg, WestGermany, in 1954. On September 27,1955, Lucius made his first profession and began his studies for the priesthood. Ordination to the priesthood came on July 23, 1960, in Walberberg, West Germany.

After ordination, Lucius completed his final year of theology at St. Albert's College in Oakland, CA, intending to be a missionary. He remained in the United States until 1967, serving at Old St. Mary's Church and teaching at St. Gregory Seminary in Cincinnati. During this time, he also received a Master's in Education at Xavier University of Cincinnati. Lucius returned to Germany for two years before coming back to Old St. Mary's. Deciding to remain in the U.S., ha joined St. Joseph's Province. In 1973, Lucius became a citizen of the United States.

Upon leaving Cincinnati, Lucius remained in pastoral ministry at St. Ma 's in Johnson City, TN (1974-77), back to Cincinnati, to St.Gertrude's (1977-7), and then on to Mater Dolorosa in Independence, LA (1979-84) and finally to St. Joseph's in Ponchatoula, LA (1984-89). Living in Louisiana at the time the new Province of St. Martin de Porres was formed, Lucius decided to become a member.

Known for his hard work and tireless concern for the people to whom he ministered, Lucius also had a lighter side. His hobbies included fishing, photography, and stamp collecting. He continued to practice the art of baking he learned as a young man throughout his life.

While bicycling in Ponchatoula, Lucius was stricken with a heart attack on April 22, 1989, at 57 years of age. He died two days later on April 24. At the Mass of Christian burial on April 27, St. Joseph's Church was filled with friends, Parishioners, and fellow Dominicans who mourned the loss of Lucius. He was buried in the Dominican cemetery in nearby Rosaryville on April 28,1989.

Stephen Graves Goetz

Stephen was born on August 13, 1955, to John and Lorette McClatchy Goetz in San Francisco, the youngest of four children. As a young child, he moved with his family to Chicago where he attended the University of Chicago Laboratory School through the 12th grade.

Stephen came to New Orleans in 1972 to attend Loyola University. While at Loyola, he began attending the liturgies at neighboring Tulane University. It was at Tulane that he met the Dominicans and first considered joining the Order. Stephen majored in biology and developed a love for science. He graduated from Loyola with a Bachelor of Science in Biology in 1977. He continued his biological studies at Florida State University, and received the Master of Science degree in 1980.

In the summer of 1980, Stephen entered the first novitiate class of the newly formed Southern Province at St. Martin de Porres Church in Columbia, SC. He made his first profession there on August 28, 1981. Stephen was able to combine his keen interest in science with his theological studies at the Dominican School of Philosophy and Theology and the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, CA. He excelled in his studies and received joint degrees in 1985: the Master of Divinity from DSPT and the Master of Arts in Theology through the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences at the GTU.

Stephen continued his studies at Emory University in Atlanta from 1985 through 1987. He was ordained to the diaconate on April 12, 1986 at Emory's Cannon Chapel. He served as a deacon at Holy Cross Parish in Atlanta from 19861987. In addition to his academic skills, Stephen became known for his fine preaching and musical talent. He was ordained to the priesthood at Cannon Chapel on April 4, 1987.

In the fall of 1987, Stephen moved to St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans. For two years, he taught theology and biology at Xavier University. He was loved and respected by students and colleagues there for his teaching ability, as well as his frequent work with campus ministry. As an academic advisor and spiritual director, Stephen always had time for his students.

Perhaps Stephen's greatest honor came in 1989 when he was awarded a scholarship to study Christian ethics at Yale University's Department of Religion. With great anticipation, Stephen moved into St. Mary's Priory in New Haven and began studies in the fall of 1989. His time at Yale was cut short when he died suddenly of a heart attack while running on September 30, 1989. The funeral took place on October 4th at St. Anthony of Padua in New Orleans. He was buried at Rosaryville Retreat Center in Ponchatoula, LA, on October 5, 1989.

Stephen's untimely death at the age of 34 was mourned by all who knew him in his brief life. Memorial services were held for him from New Haven to Berkeley. Stephen will long be remembered for his dedication to the Dominican charisms of study, preaching, prayer, and social justice.

Timothy Louis Bertrand Curry

Tim Curry was born on January 18, 1941, in Sharon, Pennsylvania, to John Curry, Jr., and Kathleen Doyle Curry. Tim attended St. Joseph Elementary School in Sharon, and Cathedral Preparatory School in Erie, graduating in 1959. After studying liberal arts at Gannon University in Erie for two years, Tim decided to enter the novitiate for St. Albert's Province. He entered the novitiate at St. Peter Martyr Priory in Winona, Minnesota in the fall of 1961, and made his first profession there on September 27, 1962. Upon completion of the novitiate, Tim studied philosophy at Aquinas Institute of Philosophy in River Forest, IL, receiving a BA in 1965. He began his study of theology at Aquinas Institute of Theology in Dubuque, Iowa, in the fall of 1965. In 1968, Tim completed his theological study and received the Master of Theology degree. Tim was ordained to the priesthood on May 25, 1968, at St. Rose Priory in Dubuque.

After ordination, Tim moved to Texas to begin his ordained ministry. He would continue to minister in Texas the rest of his life. From 1968-1969, Tim was stationed in Dallas, where he taught religion and served as a guidance counselor at Bishop Lynch High School. After the year at Bishop Lynch, the focus of Tim's ministry shifted to chaplaincy. He completed a year of clinical pastoral education with the Texas Department of Corrections in Huntsville in 1970. Tim was to work in hospital chaplaincy for the rest of his life. He ministered at the University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals in Galveston for ten years (1970-1980). When the new Province of St. Martin de Porres was formed in 1979, Tim decided to join the Province and remain in the South. For the next ten years he served as chaplain at the Texas Medical Center in Houston (1980-1990). Tim died suddenly at St. Mark's Priory in Houston on August 15, 1990, at the age of 49.

The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on August 18,1990, at Holy Rosary Church in Houston. Tim was buried at Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Houston.

Tim will be remembered for his kindness and gentleness, as well as for his commitment to his ministry and to the Order. He was always generous with his time and talent. He will be missed by his Dominican brothers and sisters, as well as by the countless number of people he ministered to throughout his life.

Fabian Richard Larcher

Fabian Richard LarcherFabian Larcher was born in Ephrata, Pennsylvania on February 14, 1914, to Herman and Hermenia Bolego Larcher. He attended St. James Elementary School in Baltimore, Maryland, and Aquinas High School in Columbus, Ohio.

Fabian entered the novitiate of St. Joseph's Province at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, in August 1936. After his profession in August 1937, he continued his philosophical and theological studies in River Forest, Illinois. He also attended De Paul University in Chicago, Illinois, where he received an M.A. in mathematics. On June 13, 1943, Fabian was ordained to the priesthood at River Forest.

The majority of Fabian's ministry was involved with education. He taught mathematics at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois, from 1944 to 1949. At the university level, he taught philosophy at St. Thomas College (St. Paul, Minnesota) from 1949-1951; De Paul University from 1954-1956; Dominican College (Racine, Wisconsin) from 1966-1967; and philosophy and theology at the College of Santa Fe (New Mexico from 1967-1972. From 1951-1954, he traveled to Kyoto, Japan, to study the Japanese language. From 1972-1979, Fabian was assigned to St. Albert's Priory in Irving, Texas. In 1979, he went to St. Helena's Parish in Amite, Louisiana, where he was in pastoral ministry until his retirement.

Fabian died after a long illness in Hammond, Louisiana, on his 77th birthday, February 14, 1991. The Mass of Christian burial was celebrated at St. Helena's in Amite on February 16, 1991, with burial at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. He will be missed by his many students over the years as a fine and dedicated teacher and minister.

Matthew Raymond Scullion

Matthew Raymond ScullionMatt Scullion was born on August 7, 1915, to Matthew James and Elizabeth Loren Scullion in Jersey City, NJ. He attended Sacred Heart Elementary School in Jersey City and Regis High School in New York. After graduation from high school, Matt attended Providence College, where he graduated with an AB in 1938.

Matt entered the novitiate for St. Joseph's Province in 1938 at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, KY. His first profession was on August 15, 1939 at St. Rose. Matt then began his philosophical and theological studies at River Forest, IL. He was solemnly professed on August 15, 1942 in Menominee, MI, and ordained to the priesthood on March 23, 1945, in River Forest. After ordination, he continued his studies at Catholic University in Washington, D.C., and at Harvard University, in Cambridge, MA.

Matt's ordained ministry was rich and varied, combining academic, pastoral, and formation work. From 1946-1953, he ta u ht at St. Thomas College in St. Paul, MN, and worked at Ho y Rosary Parish in Minneapolis. He continued to teach at Marycrest College (IA) from 1953-1955, and at Xavier College in Chicago (1955-1956). In 1956, Matt was appointed student master in River Forest. Upon completion of that term in 1960, he served as provincial director of the Holy Name Society until 1963. Matt continued his teaching at Racine, WI, Santa Fe College (NM) and Benedictine College (KS).

After 1977, Matt concentrated on pastoral ministry. From 1977-1984, Matt served as pastor at St. Helena Parish in Amite, LA. He then went to Lufkin, TX, where he served as chaplain to the Dominican nuns for two years. In 1986, he returned to Amite for limited service. He died at the age of 75 on February 17, 1991, after a long illness in Hammond, LA. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on February 20 at St. Helena's in Amite, with burial at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula, LA.

Anthony Henry Hamel

Anthony Henry HamelAnthony Henry Hamel was born the fourth of nine children to Blanch and Anselm Hamel in Benson, MN, on March 11, 1909. After attending elementary and high school in Benson, Henry studied at St. John's University in Collegeville, MN, and Providence College.

Henry entered the novitiate on August 15, 1932, at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, KY. He made first profession at St. Rose on August 16, 1933. Henry studied philosophy at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington and theology at St. Jose h Priory in Somerset, OH. He was ordained to the priesthood on May 17, 1939 at St. Joseph's.

Henry's first assignment as a priest was to Nativity Church in Campti, LA, in 1940. From 1942 through 1946 he served as an army chaplain, and was awarded the bronze star medal. Following his honorable discharge, Henry returned to parish work in Louisiana, this time at Mater Dolorosa in Independence. From 1948 through 1973, he continued his pastoral ministry at the following parishes: St. Martin Mission, Amarillo, TX (1948-1949); St. Plus Priory and St. Jude Shrine, Chicago

1949-1950 and (1964-1967); Sacred Heart, Mangum, OK 1950-1952; Holy Rosary, Houston (1952-1957); St. Chrysostom, Canton, SD 1957-1963); and Holy Trinity, Chicago (19671973). In 1973, Henry returned to Mater Dolorosa in Independence where he ministered until his retirement.

Henry died in New Orleans at the age of 82 on July 10, 1991. The funeral was held at Mater Dolorosa, where he served so faithfully for many years on July 12. Henry was buried the following day at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula, LA. Henry will be lovingly remembered by all who knew him for his kindness, intelligence, and fine preaching. He was also known as an avid gardener, who spent many happy hours tending to the plants wherever he was assigned.

John Walter Caverly

Walter was born on October 10, 1933, in Huntington, WV, to Walter and Coletta Kain Caverly, the youngest of five children. Walter attended St. John's elementary school in Wheeling, WV, and St. Joseph's elementary and high school in Huntington. After completing high school, he attended Providence College, where he received a B.A. in Philosophy. Walter served two years in the Army upon completion of his college degree, and worked for the U.S. Postal Service for two years in Concord, CA.

Walter entered the novitiate at St. Joseph's Priory in Somerset, OH, in August, 1959. He made his first profession at St. Joseph's on August 16,1960. Walter then studied philosophy at St. Stephen's in Dover, MA, and theology at Aquinas Institute, River Forest, II., where he received a Ph.L. He continued his studies at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C., and received an S.T.B. in 1967. Walter was ordained to the priesthood on June 9, 1966, at St. Dominic's in Washington.

The majority of Walter's ordained ministry was spent as a parish priest. He served in the following parishes: Holy Name of Jesus, Valhalla, NY (1967-1970); St. Martin de Porres, Columbia, SC (1970-1977); St. Mary's, New Haven, CT (19771978), St. Mary's, Johnson City, TN (1978-1986); St. Dominic's, Miami, FL (1986-1988); Our Lady of Fatima, Huntington, WV (1988-1989); and St. Joseph's, Ponchatoula, LA (1989-1991). In 1979, Walter joined the newly formed Southern Province of St. Martin de Porres.

Walter moved to St. Dominic Nursing Home in Houston, TX, in 1991, for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He died in Houston on September 26, 1991, at the age of 57. The Mass of Christian burial was held at St. Dominic Diocesan Center, with burial at Resthaven Cemetery in Houston on September 28, 1991.

Walter will long be remembered by his fellow Dominicans and the people to whom he ministered for his preaching and teaching, his kindness, sense of humor, and dedication to serving God's people and the Dominican Order.

Avelino González Baragano

Father Avelino González Baragano was born on May 2, 1914, in Santa Marina, Province of Oviedo, Spain. He was the eighth of nine children born to Carlos González Arbesu and Filomena Baragano Ortea.

Very early in his life Avelino was sent to the Minor Seminary of the Province of Spain. Accepted into the novitiate, he made his first vows on October 7, 1934. During the Spanish Civil War, Fr. Avelino was drafted and served in the Nationalist Army. After his military service, he returned to San Esteban Priory in Salamanca, where he renewed his vows on October 7, 1937. On July 5, 1942, Fr. Avelino was ordained to the priesthood in Avila, Spain.

For fourteen years, Fr. Avelino assumed different responsibilities in various houses of the Province of Spain. He spent six years as a teacher at the Colegio Santo Domingo, in Oviedo. On March 8, 1956, Fr. Avelino left Madrid with a new assignment at Santa Ana, in El Salvador. On May 10 of the same year, he was reassigned to the Santo Domingo Priory in Guatemala City, where he remained until September 22, 1957, when he was assigned to the Santa Rosa de Lima House in Santiago de los Caballeros, in the Dominican Republic. He was appointed house Superior on August 22, 1957, and Director of the Liceo Secundario "Ulises Francisco Espaillat" the following month. During this time he had to defend his directorship, which was being attacked by the local newspaper. On May 20, 1959, the Dominicans in the Dominican Republic decided that they would return the directorship of the Liceo to the State.

On September 25, 1959, Fr. Avelino was assigned to the house in Alice, Texas. His ministry was to be parish work and preaching among the Latinos in Texas and California. During this year he was to take his first vacation since his arrival in the United States. On January 2, 1962, he was assigned to the house in San Diego, Texas.

On November 28, 1962, Fr. Avelino was assigned to the new Miami community, Casa de San Martín de Porres. He was appointed chaplain to the Centro Hispano Católico. The bishop of Miami, Colman Carol, appointed him Vice-Director of the Cursillo Movement in the diocese. Cursillo ministry would remain one of his passions for many years. On a secondary role he would become a foundation stone of the Cursillo Movement in the Archdiocese of Miami. Fr. Avelino was appointed Superior of the Miami community and remained his superior until dissolution of the community in 1968. At this time he served as an assistant pastor at Saint Francis de Sales Parish in Miami Beach. After dissolution of the Casa San Martin de Porres, Fr.

Avelino moved into Saint Dominic Community and Parish in Miami and began his ministry as an assistant pastor and hospital chaplain.

On September 7,1979, as the Province of Saint Martin de Porres was founded, Fr. Avelino requested to be formally assigned to the new Province. He would remain in Miami until July 1986, when, badly advised, he returned to the Province of Spain. But he would not stay there for long. Health problems plagued his stay in Spain. For years he ignored his diabetes, and slowly it began to burden his health and mobility. Realizing that his relocation had been an error, he requested to return to the Province of Saint Martin de Porres.

Upon his return to Miami in 1986, Fr. Avelino attempted to resume his old routine, but his health would no longer support him in his efforts. Faithful to daily prayer and community life, he was an active member of Saint Dominic Community until his health made it impossible. During his last years he dedicated himself to the ministry of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Many came to him for reconciliation and spiritual advice. He was known to all as a very anent and spiritual person, always willing to listen and help hose in need. At the moment of his death, many regarded him as a saintly person, a man marked by a love for his ministry and the Order.

After a long period of hospitalization, Fr. Avelino went to the Lord on June 8, 1992. Ws funeral Mass, presided by Archbishop McCarthy, gathered hundreds of parishioners and loyal friends.

Mark Richard Leuer

Mark was born on November 29, 1934, in Aurora, Illinois, to Peter and Kathryn Lyness Leuer. He was the third of six children. Mark grew up on a farm, and attended elementary school in Aurora. Upon completion of elementary school, he attended St. Edward's High School in Elgin, IL, where he graduated in 1952. Mark then attended Marquette University or a year and Loras College for a year, before entering the novitiate for St. Albert the Great Province in 1954 in Winona, Minnesota. After the novitiate, Mark studied philosophy in River Forest, IL, and theology at Aquinas Institute in Dubuque, Iowa, where he was ordained to the priesthood on June 3,1961.

After completion of studies, Mark spent his years of priestly ministry in parish work in Louisiana. He was assigned to St. Margaret's in Boyce, LA, from 1962 - 1965, St. Anthony of Padua in New Orleans from 1965 - 1979, St. Joseph's in Ponchatoula from 1979 - 1980, and Holy Ghost in Hammond from 1980 until his death in 1992. Mark died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 58 on December 3, 1992, in Hammond. The funeral Mass was celebrated at Holy Ghost on December 7, with burial in the Dominican cemetery at Rosaryville in Ponchatoula.

As a parish minister and pastor, Mark was known for his kindness and generosity. In the Dominican tradition, he was a fine preacher. Mark also gained the reputation of being an excellent administrator and financial steward. Mark served on the Provincial council and economic council of St. Martin de Porres Province for many years, and was financial steward when he died. The Province benefitted greatly from his expertise in that area.

Education of youth was also a high priority for Mark. He was justifiably proud of playing a major part in the building of St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Hammond, which opened in 1986.

Mark Leuer will be greatly missed by his Dominican brothers and sisters, and the countless number of people who were touched by his many years of generous service to the Order, Church, and community.

Paul Vignot Barrett

Paul Barrett was born on December 23, 1917, to Alfred and Adele Vignot Barrett in Flushing, Long Island, New York. Paul attended St. Andrew Avellino Elementary School in Flushing and St. Augustine's High School in Brooklyn.

In 1936, Paul enrolled in Providence College, where he studied for two years. In 1938, he entered the novitiate of St. Joseph's Province at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, KY. Upon completion of the novitiate, Paul studied philosophy and theology at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, IL. He was ordained to the priesthood in River Forest on June 5,1946.

As a priest, Paul ministered in a wide variety of settings and places, including parish work and teaching, as well a military and hospital chaplaincy. His parish assignments include Campti, LA; St. Pius, Chicago; Holy Rosary, Houston; St. Dominic's, Denver; Magnum, OK; Holy Ghost, Hammond, LA; St. Gregory's, Plantation, FL; and St. Joseph's, San Angelo, TX.

Paul had a good facility for languages, and taught Latin at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, IL, from 1949-50. He utilized his fluency in Spanish as he ministered with the Mexican Province from 1967-1974.

A major part of Paul's ministry was also sent in chaplaincy. He served as a chaplain to the Dominican Sisters in Houston and in Kenosha, WI. As a chaplain with the U.S. Air Force, Paul served in San Antonio, Las Vegas, Japan, and Korea. Paul also worked as a hospital chaplain in New Orleans and San Francisco.

Due to poor health, Paul lived his final six years at Wynhoven Health Care Center in Marrero, LA. He died there on April 25, 1993, at the age of 75. His funeral was held on April 28, 1993, at St. Dominic's in New Orleans. He was buried the following day at the Dominican cemetery in Ponchatoula, La.