ST. MARTIN DE PORRES PROVINCE
LIVES OF THE BRETHREN 1979-1984This Appendix contains brief biographies of all the members of the Province of St. Martin de Porres, who have died since the beginning of the province.
THE LIVES OF THE BRETHREN
This section contains brief biographies of all the members of the province who have died since the erection of the province on December 8, 1979.
McGOWAN, Edward Marcellus March 12, 1980 WINTERS, Andrew James April 10, 1980 MADRICK, John Justin July 6, 1980 KELLY, Joseph Leo May 27, 1981 ARNOULT, Leo Arthur June 13, 1982 BARRON, Maurice Mark June 14, 1982 WALSH, John Nicholas December 21, 1982 COMEAU, James Raphael September 12, 1983 BOUCHER, Louis Bertrand March 29, 1984 ELDER, William Peter May 3, 1984 REDMOND, Francis Stephen June 6, 1984
EDWARD MARCELLUS McGOWAN
Father Edward M. McGowan was born on November 23, 1910, in New York City, where he attended primary and secondary schools. He entered the Dominican Order and made first profession at Saint Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, on August 16, 1931. After basic philosophical and theological studies, he was ordained to the priesthood on June 11, 1937.
Most of his priestly ministry was spent in the classroom, where he taught high school mathematics at Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois and again at Bishop Lynch High School, Dallas, Texas.
Besides being an inspiring teacher he was an accomplished carpenter and left signs of his artistic carpentry skills in every Dominican house in which he lived.
Fr. McGowan died in Dallas, Texas, on March 12, 1980. He was the first member of the New Province called to the Father's House. Following services at St. Bernard's Church, he was buried at Calvary Hill Cemetery in Dallas, Texas.
ANDREW JAMES WINTERS
Brother Andrew Winters was born on January 10, 1933, in San Francisco, California. He moved with his family to Denver, Colorado, where he received his education in primary and secondary schools. He entered the Dominican Order and made first profession at Saint Thomas Aquinas Priory, River Forest, Illinois, on August 4, 1963.
His life was spent in service to the brethren and to God's people. He was extremely active in the Boy Scouts of America. His dedication in serving young men as confidant, friend, and helper in time of need won him the love and respect of many.
Crippled by cancer, Brother Andrew died in New Orleans, Louisiana, on April 10, 1980. Funeral services were held in St. Dominic's Church, which was filled with representatives from the scouting world. He was buried in the Rosaryville Cemetery in Ponchatoula. Louisiana.
JOHN JUSTIN MADRICK
John James Madrick was born in New York City on 29 October 1907. He was the son of John and Anna (Miraz) Madrick. He received his early education at St. Monica Grammar School in New York, and Aquinas High School in Columbus, Ohio.
After completing two years of college required for entrance into the Order at Providence College in Rhode Island, he then petitioned Father Raymond Meagher, O.P. , Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph, for admission to the Dominican Novitiate.
He entered the Novitiate at St. Rose Priory near Springfield, Kentucky and received the religious name, Justin. He made first profession in the same priory on 16 August 1930. He pursued his philosophical. studies at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois and completed his theological studies at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C.
After his ordination on 10 June 1936, John began a priestly ministry that was varied and fulfilling. Immediately after ordination he entered a graduate program at The Catholic University in Washington. From 1937-1939 he taught young men at Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois. In 1939 he became an associate pastor at St. Dominic's Church, New Orleans, Louisiana. In 1942 he was reassigned to Rosaryville, Louisiana during which time he was involved with the preparation of mission sermons and served as chaplain. From 1943 to 1946 he was stationed at Canton, South Dakota where he traveled throughout the midwest as a missionary.
In 1946 James returned to Fenwick High School where for the next 17 years he devoted, himself to the education of young men. After these many years of dedicated teaching he again returned to Canton, South Dakota and assumed the pastorate at the Church of St. John Chrysostom. 1967 brought him to New Orleans as a parish supply helper for area parishes.
Failing health made it necessary for him to take up residence at Marian Manor Nursing Home in Lebanon, Kentucky. He died there on 6 July 1980 and was buried from St. Rose Church, the same church were 49 years earlier he first professed his vows in the Dominican Order.
JOSEPH LEO KELLY
Born in Chicago, Illinois on 2 March 1914, Joseph Edward Kelly was the son of Edward and Elizabeth (Higgins) Kelly. He attended St. John Berchmans School in Chicago and was graduated from St. Bede Academy in Peru, Illinois in 1931. After a year at St. Bede College, Joseph went to Providence College in Rhode Island with a concentration in Pre-Ecclesiastical Studies.
He entered the Dominican Novitiate at St. Rose Priory near Springfield, Kentucky and there professed his first vows on 16 August 1935. Upon his vestition he received the religious name Leo.
After his ordination on 7 June 1941 Joseph spent more than 25 years of his priesthood on the mission band. He traversed the midwest and mid-south proclaiming the word of God and worked towards building up the People of God throughout this territory. He was assigned to St. Pius in Chicago; St. Rose, Dubuque, Iowa; St. Vincent Ferrer, River Forest, Illinois; Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois -- all the time living out of a suitcase as he served zealously as a home missionary.
In September 1968, Joseph moved to Houston, Texas and assumed duties as a chaplain at St. Luke's Hospital and became a member of the Corps of Chaplains at the Texas Medical Center. In January 1971, he assumed the duties of Catholic Chaplain at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Beaumont, Texas. There he served both the staff and the patients until his death of a heart attack on 27 May 1981.
LEO ARTHUR ARNOULT
A son of the South from the day of his birth, Leo Arnoult was born in New Orleans, Louisiana on 11 July 1903. The son of Hubbard and Anna (Blake) Arnoult, Leo was raised in Memphis, Tennessee along with five brothers and one sister. He was educated at Sacred Heart Grammar School and Christian Brothers High School both in Memphis.
After attending Providence College in Rhode Island for his freshman and sophomore years he was accepted for the Dominican Novitiate by Father Raymond Meagher, O.P., Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph. At his vestition he received the religious name Arthur. He made first profession on 19 August 1925. He was ordained a priest by the Most Reverend Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore, on 15 June 1931.
After ordination Leo was sent to the Angelicum in Rome and there received a Licentiate in Canon Law. Upon his return to the United States he embarked upon a distinguished teaching career, teaching in the studium in Washington, D.C. and the studium at St. Joseph Priory in Somerset, Ohio. He also served as prior in both these communities. For more than twenty years he taught at St. Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana, where he was much loved for his inspiring explanation of the doctrine of St. Thomas.
Besides teaching, he served as Secretary of Education for the Province of St. Joseph and also as the liaison between that Province and the various congregations of Dominican Sisters.
After many years of dedicated service in the classroom and in the pulpit, he retired in 1975 to the town in which he was raised. During these latter years in Memphis, he served as a member of the Priest Senate and the diocesan Board of Consultors.
As the members of the province were converging on Memphis for a General Assembly, Leo died on the first day of the Assembly, 13 June 1982. More than 100 of the brothers were present for the funeral mass on 16 June 1982 at St. Peter's Church in Memphis.
MAURICE MARK BARRON
Maurice Barron was born to William and Mary (Ladd) Barron in Chicago, Illinois on 7 April 1911. His early education was in Chicago, where he attended St. Clement Grammar School and DePaul Academy. Before graduating from DePaul Academy he transferred to Aquinas College High School in Columbus, Ohio.
After completing the first two years of college at Providence College in Rhode Island, he was accepted for the Dominican Novitiate by Father Terence S. McDermott, O.P., Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph.
Maurice was vested in the Dominican Habit on 15 August 1931 at St. Rose Priory, near Springfield, Kentucky. At the time of his vestition he received the name, Mark. At that same priory on 16 August 1932 he professed his first vows in the hands of Very Reverend James Aldridge, O. P. He pursued his philosophical studies at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois and at St. Joseph Priory, near Somerset, Ohio. After making his solemn profession at St. Joseph's near Somerset he continued theological studies at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C. He was ordained by the Most Reverend J. J. McNamara, Auxiliary Bishop of Washington, at ceremonies at St. Dominic Church on 16 June 1938.
After ordination he pursued complementary studies at The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.; Loyola University, Chicago; and Notre Dame University, South Bend, Indiana.
Mark had a long and distinguished career in the teaching ministry. He was a teacher at Fenwick High School, Oak Park, Illinois from 1939 to 1945. From 1945 to 1951, he was again teaching, this time at Edgewood School, Madison, Wisconsin. His first tenure in the South was an assignment to St. Anthony's in New Orleans, where he taught at Ursuline College and Jesuit High School. In 1954 he was assigned to Xavier, Kansas where he taught philosophy and theology at St. Mary College until 1957 when he was transferred to Houston, Texas. For the next six years he was chaplain at the Dominican Sisters' Motherhouse and taught philosophy and theology at Sacred Heart Dominican College. He combined a similar chaplaincy-teaching position at the Motherhouse of the Dominican Sisters in Kenosha, Wisconsin from 1966-1970. In 1977 he returned to Holy Rosary Church in Houston as associate pastor. He remained in Houston for the remainder of his life, being transferred to St. Mark Priory in 1978.
Besides his teaching ministry, Mark was well known as a preacher. For twenty-five years there was not a year that went by in which he could not be found preaching several retreats for the Dominican Sisters. He was a faithful friend of the Dominican Laity. During the time that he was Director of the Dominican Laity in New Orleans the chapter there experienced great growth.
Mark died on 14 June 1982. His' funeral Mass was celebrated at Holy Rosary Church, Houston, and he was interred in the Dominican Fathers' plot in that city.
JOHN NICHOLAS WALSH
It was in Bohola, County Mayo, Ireland that John Walsh was born to Anthony and Mary (Creaby) Walsh on 18 August 1896. The family remained in Ireland until 1912 where John attended school at Lismirrane, Bohola, County Mayo. In 1912 the family emigrated to the United States and settled in Philadelphia. In 1916 John entered Aquinas College High School and after his graduation he continued studies at Providence College in Rhode Island.
He received the Dominican Habit from the hands of the Very Reverend J. B. Connolly on 24 August 1922 at St. Joseph Priory in Somerset, Ohio. In this same ceremony he received the religious name, Nicholas. It was in the same priory that he pronounced his first vows on 25 August 1923. The Very Reverend Ignatius Smith, O.P. received his solemn profession on 25 August 1926 at the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C. Prior to his ordination later in the same year, he became an American citizen on 5 March 1929. The Most Reverend Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore, ordained him to the priesthood on 17 June 1929 at the shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington.
After completing his theological education his first assignment was to Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois where for four years he taught English. He was reassigned to St. Dominic in Detroit where he served as associate pastor from 1935-1938. From 1938-1940 he served as associate pastor at St. Anthony in New Orleans. During the course of all these assignments he was revered for his holiness and dedication to the Dominican ideals.
In 1940 he was asked to accept the position of novice master for the Province of St. Albert the Great, a position he was to hold for 16 years. He served as novice master in River Forest, Illinois from 1940 until 1949. When the novitiate house of St. Peter Martyr in Winona, Minnesota opened in 1949, John Nicholas Walsh was there to welcome the first group of novices. Hundreds of young men were introduced to the Dominican life under the dedicated and noble tutelage of Nicholas Walsh.
After serving the Province of St. Albert for so many years as novice master John returned to St. Anthony as associate pastor. Because of health problems he was moved to the Chateau de Notre Dame where he became friend, confessor, confidant of the patients and staff there. He died on 21 December 1982. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Anthony Church and interment was in the Dominican Fathers' plot in Rosaryville, Louisiana.
JAMES RAPHAEL COMEAU
James Comeau was born on 28 March 1915 in Schenectady, New York, the son of James and Frances (Hughes) Comeau. He was educated in the public school system of Schenectady. He entered the University of Notre Dame in 1933 and four years later was graduated from that university with honors.
He was vested in the Dominican Habit in ceremonies in St. Rose Priory in Springfield, Kentucky on 11 September 1939 and received the religious name, Raphael. In that same priory on September 12, 1940, Father Justin McManus, O.P. received his first profession. After completing philosophical and theological studies at the Dominican Studium in River Forest, Illinois, James was ordained to the priesthood by the Most Reverend W. D. O'Brien on 18 June 1946.
After completing his studies he was assigned to St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans in 1947, where he was an instructor in sociology and theology at St.
Mary Dominican College until 1949, at which time he joined the parish staff at St. Anthony's. In 1950 and 1951 James taught philosophy and theology at Barry College in Miami and Siena College in Adrian, Michigan. In 1952 he was assigned to Fenwick High School were he taught English.
In 1952 he was assigned to Jackson, Mississippi where he served as a chaplain at St. Dominic's Hospital and a teacher at St. Joseph's High School. He became the principal of St. Clara Academy in Yazoo City, Mississippi in 1954 and returned to parochial ministry at Blessed Sacrament Parish in Madison, Wisconsin a year later. Four years later he joined his fellow Dominicans who ministered at St. Margaret's Church in Boyce, Louisiana and the missions which this church served. In 1970 he was assigned to the Church of the Nativity of Mary in Campti, Louisiana where he labored for six years.
After two short assignments at St. Mary's Parish in San Saba, Texas and St. Martin's Mission in Amarillo, Texas and a brief tenure at St. Joseph's in Ponchatoula,
Louisiana, Jim's frail health required that he be confined to a nursing care facility. After a long illness he died in New Orleans, Louisiana on 12 September 1983.
He was buried from the church of his first assignment, St. Anthony of Padua, and was interred in the Dominican plot in Rosaryville, Louisiana.
LOUIS BERTRAND BOUCHER
On 22 July 1906, Thomas William Boucher was born to John and Agnes (Devlin) Boucher in Joliet, Illinois. After being educated in Catholic grammar, school and attending Joliet High School, Thomas spent several years working in and around Joliet.
He was accepted for the Dominican Novitiate by Father Terence S. McDermott, O.P., Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph. He received the Dominican Habit from Father R. V. Walker, O.P. at ceremonies at St. Thomas Priory, River Forest, Illinois. At the time he received the habit, he also received the religious name, Louis Bertrand. After professing his simple vows on October 6, 1932, Louis Bertrand was assigned to St. Catherine of Siena in New York City, where he labored for six years serving the many needs of the community.
In 1938 he was assigned to St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans, Louisiana and here he made his solemn profession into the hands of Father Raphael Scholz, O.P. After a year at St. Anthony's he was re-assigned to St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky for two years where his dedication to community service has been recalled with great affection. From 1941 to 1943 he served the community of Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Illinois. From 1943 to 1946 he was assigned to St. Pius Priory in Chicago, and he returned to this community from 1948 to 1950 after serving at the House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois.
Brother Louis spent the next 34 years at St. Anthony of Padua in New Orleans where he became a familiar figure at the switchboard, training the altar boys in the church, directing the sacristy work and distributing the Eucharist to parishioners.
A large number of the parishioners helped fill St. Anthony Church for the Mass of Christian Burial on 31 March 1984. Interment was in the Dominican plot at Rosaryville, Louisiana.
WILLIAM PETER ELDER
Among the nine children born to William and Elizabeth (Daugherty) Elder, was a son, William, born on 17 July 1927. He attended Holy Trinity Elementary and High Schools in his native Somerset, Ohio. His studies at Ohio State University were interrupted for three years during which he served with distinction in the United States Navy. After serving in the Korean War, he returned to Ohio State where he received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration. After working for a few years, primarily in sales, he felt more and more attracted to the religious life.
He was admitted to the Dominican Novitiate at St. Joseph Priory in Somerset, Ohio by Father Dalmatius Marrin, O.P., Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph. Upon entering the novitiate he received the religious name, Peter. Father Matthew Hanley, O.P., Prior of St. Joseph Priory, received his first profession on August 16, 1958. Three years later he professed Solemn Vows and on 11 June 1964 he was ordained to the priesthood by the Most Reverend Russell J. McVinney, Bishop of Providence, in ceremonies in Washington, D.C.
After ordination Peter worked for several years in the hospital ministry at Memorial Hospital in New York City. He was outstanding in his dedication to bringing the compassion of Christ to so many patients who were riddled with cancer and being an agent of consolation to their families. He was elected prior at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, Kentucky and after completing his duties there served in the parochial apostolate at St. Vincent Ferrer Church in Madison Heights, Michigan.
His first assignment after joining the Southern Province was again in the hospital ministry in Galveston, Texas. Soon he was called upon to be pastor at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Tampa, Florida. When the diocese was reorganized and the Dominicans withdrew from the parish in Tampa, Peter went to Houston where he was an associate in Campus Ministry at the University of Houston, University Park. In February of 1984 doctors discovered that he was riddled with cancer and after several months of patient suffering he was released of his pain and born into the Lord on 3 May 1984.
Many Dominican brothers and sisters joined in the Mass of Christian Burial which was celebrated at Holy Rosary Church in Houston on 5 May 1984. Interment was in the Dominican plot at Holy Sepulcher-Rest Haven Cemetery in Houston.
FRANCIS STEPHEN REDMOND
Among the ten children born to James and Elizabeth (Walker) Redmond was a son, Francis, on March 22, 1907. Francis received his early education at Holy Trinity School, Somerset, Ohio. The family moved to Columbus, Ohio, where Francis completed his high school education.
After several years in the work force Francis was accepted into the Dominican Novitiate by Father Terence S. McDermott, O. P., Prior Provincial of the Province of St. Joseph. After completing his novitiate, he made first profession of vows on 16 August 1936 at St. Rose Convent near Springfield, Kentucky. Three years later he made his solemn profession at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois. He was ordained in ceremonies at the House of Studies by Bishop Bernard Shields on 11 June 1942.
Most of his priestly ministry was exercised in the parochial apostolate. From June 1943 until September 1950 he served as associate pastor of St. Dominic's in New Orleans. From September 1950 until January 1957 he was religious superior and pastor at St. Vincent Ferrer Church in River Forest, Illinois. During his tenure there he supervised the construction of the church. From January 1957 to February 1963 he served at Holy Rosary in Minneapolis as prior and pastor. He returned for a brief stay at St. Anthony in New Orleans before going to the House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois, from September 1964 to September 1967 where he functioned as house procurator. In 1967 he returned to his first assignment, St. Dominic's in New Orleans where he stayed until his death on June 6, 1984.
While home visiting his family in Columbus, Ohio, he suffered a severe heart attack and died among his brothers and sisters. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at St. Patrick Church in Columbus on June 9, 1984. His body was brought to the town of his birth and he was buried in the Dominican Friars plot at St. Joseph Cemetery in Somerset, Ohio.