From the Acts of the IX Provincial Chapter, May 31, 1973
Appendix I

THE LIVES OF THE BRETHREN 1969 -- 1973
This section contains brief biographies of all the members of the Province who have died since the Eighth Provincial Chapter in 1969.
BURKE, MatthewMarch, 30, 1971
CONNELL, John FrancisJune 29, 1971
CONSIDINE, Joseph SylvesterFebruary 3, 1973
CONWAY, Walter JamesSeptember 22, 1972
CRILLY, William HumbertNovember 17, 1969
CURRAN, John LeonardMarch 14, 1972
DAILEY, Thomas HumbertMay 5, 1972
HENRY, John AndrewAugust 17, 1971
JURA, Ambrose WilhelmApril 15, 1973
KANE, William HumbertJune 10, 1970
McDERMOTT, Martin AmbroseAugust 4, 1971
McNAMARA, Dennis AmbroseJuly 25, 1969
NUGENT, Marcellus John FrancisJuly 3, 1972
O'BRIEN, Peter RalphJanuary 6, 1971
ROBERTS, John IsidoreAugust 23, 1971
SCHNEIDER, John BernardNovember 20, 1971
SHEA, Leo MartinApril 24, 1972
TUCKER, Robert IgnatiusDecember 18, 1971
WASKOWSKI, GilesJanuary 22, 1970
WROBLESKI, Victor HumbertJanuary 28, 1973


FATHER DENNIS AMBROSE McNAMARA

Dennis Ambrose McNamaraFather Dennis McNamara was born in Seneca, Wisconsin on November 25, 1907 and baptized in St. Patrick's Church there on December 1. He attended elementary school at St. Mary's in LaCrosse and high school at Crozier Academy, Onamia, Minnesota. He later received a bachelor's degree in English from Columbia (now Loras) College in Dubuque, Iowa.

At the age of thirty-one he entered the Order in St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky and made his first profession there on October 18, 1939. All his studies for the priesthood were taken at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois where he was ordained on March 23, 1945.

Father McNamara's principal assignments were the following: Holy Name, Kansas City; St. Albert, Minneapolis; Holy Rosary, Houston; Blessed Sacrament, Madison; Rosary Hill Convalescent Home in Justice, Illinois; St. Pius, Chicago; and, finally, Holy Ghost in Hammond, Louisiana. Having suffered from a heart ailment in his later years, he died after a short illness in Hammond on July 25, 1969. Funeral services and burial took place in Madison, Wisconsin.


FATHER WILLIAM HUMBERT CRILLY

William Humbert CrillyWilliam Crilly was born in Chicago on August 30, 1930 and baptized on September 28 in the Church of Our Lady of Sorrows. He received his elementary education at St. Patrick's Academy, Chicago and was an honor student at Fenwick High School, Oak Park. He pursued two years of college studies at De Paul University in Chicago prior to entering the Order.

In September, 1950 he was clothed with the habit at St. Peter Martyr Priory, Winona, Minnesota where he made profession on September 27 of the following year. Philosophical and theological studies followed in River Forest and Dubuque where he was ordained on May 25, 1957. Shortly after ordination he was sent to the University of Fribourg in Switzerland for graduate work.

In Fribourg he received the Lectorate and Licentiate in Theology along with a Doctorate in Philosophy and then returned to the United States to begin his brief professorial career in the House of Studies, River Forest. In addition to studium teaching, he was a lecturer for the Thomist Association, taught for two years in the Archdiocesan Seminary of St. Mary of the Lake, and re-organized the whole economic system of our House and School of Philosophy (Aquinas Institute).

Father Crilly also served as Procurator of the House of Studies and subsequently as Subprior. His promising ministry was brought to an end by his sudden death on November 17, 1969. After services at the House of Studies, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


BROTHER GILES WASKOWSKI

Giles WaskowskiBrother Giles Waskowski was born in Chicago, Illinois on February 9, 1913 and baptized on March 2 in St. Boniface Church. He attended the parish school for his elementary education and St. Aloysius Commercial High School in preparation for a secretarial career.

After ten years in the business world, he made application for admission to the Order and was received as a postulant at the Dominican House of Studies in River Forest where he also received the habit and made his first profession on December 9, 1938.

Brother Giles, first assignment after profession was to the House of Studies in Washington. After the establishment of the Province of St. Albert, he transfiliated to the new province and was assigned to Fenwick High School in Oak Park where he served as registrar. From Fenwick he returned to the House of Studies where he made his solemn profession.

Brothers Giles also served in the following communities: St. Anthony, New Orleans; St. Pius, Chicago; St. Rose, Dubuque (where he also worked as business manager of the Priory Press); Holy Rosary, Minneapolis; St. Peter Martyr, Winona; Fenwick for the second time; and, finally, St. Dominic's (Euclid) in Chicago where he died suddenly on January 22, 1970. Following services at St. Vincent Ferrer in River Forest, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


FATHER WILLIAM HUMBERT KANE

William Humbert KaneWilliam Kane was born in Chicago on July 12, 1901 and baptized in St. Anne's Church on September 18. He received his elementary education at Ogden School, La Grange, Illinois, and did his high school work at Lyons Township High School. Preparatory studies for the Order were made at Aquinas College, Columbus, Ohio.

He entered the novitiate at St. Joseph's Priory, Somerset, Ohio on August 16, 1920 and made his first profession there the following year. After one year of philosophy at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, he completed studies for the priesthood at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington while simultaneously attending classes at Catholic University and Georgetown Medical School with the hope, ultimately unfulfilled, of becoming a medical missionary to China. He was ordained in St. Dominic's Church, Washington, on June 9, 1927. After completing studies with the Lectorate in Sacred Theology, he was sent to the Angelicum in Rome where he achieved the Doctorate in Philosophy.

Upon returning from Rome, he was assigned to the House of Studies in River Forest where he was to remain teaching for the rest of his life except for the period of three years (1948-1951) when he was professor both of philosophy and theology at the Angelicum. Although teaching was his principal apostolate, he also served the Order in other capacities: Assistant Student Master, Master of Lay Brothers, Lector Primarius, President of the Pontifical Faculty of Philosophy, Pro-Regent of Studies, and Founder-Director of the Albertus Magnus Lyceum. Over the years he published Approach to Philosophy and was co-author of Science in Synthesis. He wrote many articles for scientific reviews, especially The Thomist, Cross and Crown, and The New Scholasticism. His contributions to learning in the Order and the Church brought him the Masterate in Sacred Theology.

After a brief illness, Father Kane died of cancer in West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park, Illinois on June 10, 1970. Following services at the House of Studies, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery.


FATHER PETER RALPH O'BRIEN

Peter Ralph O'BrienA native of Chicago, Father Peter O'Brien was born on October 26, 1897 and was baptized in St. Agatha's parish where he also received his elementary education. His high school studies were taken under the direction of the Jesuit Fathers at St. Ignatius in Chicago with college work under the Dominican Fathers at Aquinas College in Columbus, Ohio. He entered the Dominican novitiate at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio in September, 1916.

Father O'Brien completed his studies for the priesthood at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington and was ordained in St. Dominic's Church on June 14, 1923. He did postgraduate work at the Angelicum in Rome from 1924-1926 and then returned to Chicago to begin teaching philosophy in the newly established House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois. A few years later he taught theology at the House of Studies in Washington and summer philosophy courses at Catholic University of America. In 1934 he returned to River Forest where he had been elected Prior.

When the Province of St. Albert the Great was established in December, 1939, Father O'Brien was appointed first Provincial although he continued to teach in addition to his duties as Provincial. In 1949 he successfully defended his thesis for the degree of Master of Sacred Theology before the General Chapter Capitular Fathers in Washington, D.C.

Upon completion of his second term as Provincial, Father O'Brien was appointed pastor and superior of St. Dominic in Denver, Colorado; in 1952 he was appointed pastor and superior of Blessed Sacrament in Madison, Wisconsin; in late 1953 he was appointed Vicar General of the Order in Japan by the Master General. In 1955 he returned to resume his role as professor of theology at St. Rose Priory and Mount Saint Bernard Seminary in Dubuque, Iowa. Until 1964, he was also Procurator of the Province.

During the last years of his life, Father O'Brien served as assistant at St. Joseph's Church, Ponchatoula, Louisiana. In August of 1970 he was stricken with a rare disease of the muscular tissues. He died in the hospital at Hammond, Louisiana on January 6, 1971. Funeral services were held in Ponchatoula and in River Forest at St. Vincent Ferrer Church. He was buried in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


BROTHER MATTHEW BURKE

Matthew BurkeDennis Anthony Burke was born in Amery, Wisconsin on September 5, 1887 and baptized on November 8 in the Catholic Church at Turtle Lake, Barron County, Wisconsin. He received his elementary education and two year's high school training at Wisconsin's Apple River Township Public School. He later served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War I.

Shortly after his release from military duty, he applied for acceptance in the Dominican Order and was received as a postulant at the Dominican House of Studies, Washington, D.C. where he was later clothed with the habit of a laybrother on October 10, 1936, taking the religious name of Matthew. At the end of his novitiate year he made first profession and pronounced his solemn vows six years later.

Brother Matthew served his brother Dominicans for forty years attending to the many domestic needs of our priories. the House of Studies, Washington, D.C.; Holy Rosary, Minneapolis, Minnesota; St. Rose, Dubuque, Iowa; and St. Peter Martyr, Winona, Minnesota. He spent the last few months of his life in Heritage Manor, Dubuque, where he died on March, 30, 1971. Following services at St. Rose Priory in Dubuque, he was buried in the community cemetery in Winona, Minnesota.


FATHER JOHN FRANCIS CONNELL

John Francis ConnellFather John Francis Connell died of cancer on June 29, 1971 in Ravenswood Hospital, Chicago, Illinois. Until late 1970 he had been a missionary in Africa where he taught philosophy and theology in the diocesan seminary at Hammanskraal, Transval, South Africa and in the seminary at Ibadan, Nigeria for a total of six years.

Father Connell was born in Whiting, Indiana on August 24, 1912. He received his early education at Sacred Heart School in Whiting and subsequent training at Mount Carmel High School in Chicago and Providence College in Providence, Rhode Island. He entered the Dominican Order in 1932 at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky and pursued studies for the priesthood in River Forest, Illinois, Somerset, Ohio, and Washington, D.C. He was ordained in Somerset on May 17, 1939.

His first assignment was to the parish in Hammond, Louisiana; from there he was sent to St. Dominic's in Denver for a period of five years. He served for a year as a chaplain in the U.S. Navy and then went to Rome for graduate studies, concluding with a doctorate in theology. When he returned to the States, he taught for a year at Rosary College in River Forest and Mundelein College in Chicago. In the fall of 1951 he was appointed Student Master and professor of liturgy in the newly instituted House of Theology at St. Rose Priory in Dubuque, Iowa. After five years he was sent to the novitiate in Winona, Minnesota as Novice Master. In 1961 he began his teaching assignment in Africa.

Funeral services for Father Connell were held at St. Pius Church in Chicago with burial in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois on June 2, 1971.


FATHER MARTIN AMBROSE McDERMOTT

Martin Ambrose McDermottFather Martin Ambrose McDermott died suddenly at Fenwick High School on the night of August 3-4, 1971. The wake was held at St. Pius Church concluding with a concelebrated Mass of Christ the High Priest. Burial was in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.

Father McDermott was born in Darlington, Wisconsin on April 19, 1590, the youngest of ten children. He received his primary education in the rural schools near Darlington and graduated from Darlington High School in 1909. He attended Marquette University, Milwaukee, for one year and then entered the Dominican Order at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, where he made profession in 1915. His studies for the priesthood were made at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 12, 1921.

He served for fifty years in varied capacities: teaching at Aquinas High School in Columbus, Ohio; associate pastor at St. Dominic's in Denver; missionary preacher out of New Haven; pastor at Holy Rosary, Houston; chaplain at St. Mary's Hospital in Philadelphia; pastor at Holy Ghost in Hammond; prior and pastor at St. Anthony, New Orleans; subprior and associate at St. Pius in Chicago; pastor at St. Helena, Amite; associate pastor at St. Vincent Ferrer, River Forest, after which he retired to St. Pius in Chicago.

Father McDermott was making a retreat along with twenty other Dominicans at Fenwick at the time of his death.


FATHER JOHN ANDREW HENRY

John Andrew HenryFather John Andrew Henry was born in Monett, Missouri on May 12, 1912. His early education was received at St. Joseph's School in Monett and Rockhurst High School in Kansas City Missouri. He attended St. Mary's College in Kansas and Regis College in Denver and graduated from Rockhurst College in Kansas City in 1934.

To fulfill the Latin requirement for entering the Dominican Order, he attended Providence College and then entered the novitiate at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky where he made profession on August 16, 1938. All of his studies for the priesthood were pursued in River Forest where he was ordained on June 8, 1944.

Father Henry was assigned successively to a variety of apostolates : Fenwick High School; St. Pius parish, Chicago; Holy Rosary, Minneapolis; St. Vincent Ferrer, River Forest; Holy Rosary, Houston. During this time he was frequently impeded in his work by illness which plagued him throughout his priestly life.

In 1961 he was assigned to St. Rose in Dubuque where he collaborated in the publication work of the Priory Press for eight years. His last assignment was to St. Anthony Priory in New Orleans where he lived while serving as chaplain and professor at Dominican College. He died suddenly in Mercy Hospital in New Orleans on August 17, 1971. Following services at St. Anthony's, his body was sent for burial in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


FATHER JOHN ISIDORE ROBERTS

Bernard Isidore RobertsFather John Isidore Roberts was born in Waverly, Kentucky on April 28, 1892. He received his elementary education in the Waverly public school and high school and college at St. Mary's College, St. Mary, Kentucky, and St. Charles College, Catonsville, Maryland. As a student for the priesthood, he entered St, Thomas Seminary in Denver, Colorado. After three years in Denver, he entered the Dominican Order at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio where he made profession on September 15, 1921. After a year's study of philosophy at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, he completed his studies in Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 9, 1927.

His first assignments were to St. Antoninus in Newark, New Jersey, and St. Vincent Ferrer in New York City. For three years he worked at St. Patrick's in Columbus, Ohio, and then served as procurator at St. Joseph's in Somerset until 1939 when he was assigned to the Dominican missions in Louisiana where he served until his death.

Father Roberts died suddenly of a heart attack on August 23, 1971, enroute from St. Margaret's Rectory in Boyce to the hospital. Funeral Mass was celebrated at Boyce and in the Chapel of the Dominican Sisters, Rosaryville. Burial followed in the cemetery at Rosaryville.


FATHER JOHN BERNARD SCHNEIDER

John Bernard SchneiderFather John Bernard Schneider was born in Lansing, Michigan on August 2, 1905. He received his early education at St. Mary's parochial school in Lansing, completing high school at Sacred Heart Seminary, Detroit, with further studies at Providence College in preparation for entrance into the Dominican Order. Two of his younger brothers followed him to the Dominican priesthood.

He entered the Order at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky and made profession there on September 9, 1926. Studies followed at River Forest, Illinois, and Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on May 20, 1932.

Over the years, Father Schneider exercised a varied apostolate: associate pastor twice at St. Dominic's in Denver; once at St. Albert's, Minneapolis, St. Vincent Ferrer, River Forest, and St. Pius, Chicago. He was pastor of Blessed Sacrament parish in Madison, Wisconsin. In all these assignments he also served as local director of the Dominican Third Order. For eight years he was Provincial Promoter of the Third Order, the Rosary Confraternity, and the Angelic Warfare.

After serving as chaplain for the Dominican Motherhouse in Sinsinawa, Wisconsin, he was assigned as chaplain at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in. Houston, Texas where he died on November 20, 1971 following open-heart surgery. Following services at Holy Rosary Church, he was buried in Houston, Texas.


FATHER ROBERT IGNATIUS TUCKER

Father Robert Ignatius Tucker, a teacher at Fenwick High School for thirty years, died on December 18, 1971. Burial was from Fenwick on December 21st to All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.

Father Tucker was born at Mt. Clemens, Michigan on August 16, 1893, and attended St. Mary's Grammar School and High School there. In 1917 he received a Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from Catholic University in Washington, after which he served with the U.S. Army in France. Upon the termination of World War I, he attended Providence College in Providence, Rhode Island where he was also an instructor in Descriptive Geometry and Engineering Drawing.

In August of 1923 he entered the Dominican novitiate and then pursued studies for the priesthood at River Forest, Illinois and Washington, D.C. He was ordained in Washington at St. Dominic's Church on June 16, 1930.

Fenwick High School was Father Tucker's only assignment. He taught physics from 1931 until his retirement in 1961. From that time until his death, he resided at St. Dominic's Priory in Oak Park, Illinois.


FATHER JOHN LEONARD CURRAN

Father John Leonard Curran died on March 14, 1972, at St. Dominic's Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi. After services in Jackson and in St. Joseph's Church, Ponchatoula, where he had twice been pastor, he was buried in the cemetery at Rosaryville.

Father Curran was born on July 23, 1901 in South Boston, Massachusetts where he received his elementary education and graduated from Boston College High School. For two years he attended Providence College and then entered the Dominican Order at St. Rose in Kentucky where he made profession on September 11, 1927. He pursued his studies for the priesthood in River Forest, Somerset, and Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 17, 1933.

He began his ministry in Louisiana at Boyce and Ponchatoula. From there, since war seemed imminent, he entered the military service as an Army Chaplain and volunteered for duty in the Philippines where he arrived at the end of June in 1941. In December, the Japanese invaded the islands. When the U.S. military forces were overcome, Father Curran was among the prisoners on the infamous Bataan Death March. For heroism he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross and, later, the Bronze Star.

As the war dragged on, he volunteered to accompany prisoners who were being transferred to Fukuoka prison-labor camp in Japan. Shortly afterwards, nuclear bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki (the latter raid was intended for the Yawata Steel Works on Kyushu in which prisoners of war were employed although American bomber crews were unaware of it). On September 14, 1945, the prisoners in Fukuoka were returned to Allied military control.

Early in October, 1945, Father Curran was en route home. In Nevada he suffered serious injuries in an auto accident which in his weakened condition required long hospitalization and left him crippled for life. However, in mid-1947 he returned to serve the people in Ponchatoula and Pass Manchac where he built its little church. As his health declined, Father Curran was appointed chaplain to St. Dominic's Hospital in Jackson, Mississippi where he served for seventeen years in semi-retirement until his death.


FATHER LEO MARTIN SHEA

Leo Martin SheaFather Leo Martin Shea died in Houston, Texas on April 24, 1972. A concelebrated Mass of Christ the High Priest was offered at St. Dominic's Priory in New Orleans, where he was last assigned. Funeral services followed at St. Peter's Church in Memphis, Tennessee, with burial in the Dominican plot there.

Father Shea was born in Memphis on August 7, 1898, the youngest of seven children. His elementary education was received in the parochial schools of Memphis and his high school studies were made with the Christian Brothers there. For his college education he attended Christian Brothers College, Memphis; Loras College, Dubuque; Christian Brothers College, St. Louis; and Manhattan College, New York City.

He entered the Order at St. Joseph's Priory, Somerset, Ohio, and made profession there on September 8, 1920. Studies for the priesthood followed at St. Rose, Springfield, and Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 4, 1926. That same year he was awarded a doctorate in English Literature at Catholic University, and the following year the lectorate in theology from the Dominican House of Studies.

Among his principal assignments were: teaching English and American literature at Providence College for two years and then homiletics at the House of Studies in River Forest for another two years. For two years he served as assistant national director of the Holy Name Society; for four years he preached parish missions in the south and west. He then taught philosophy and theology for three years at Dominican College, New Orleans. For nine years he taught homiletics at the House of Studies in River Forest and conducted the Preachers' Institute at St. Pius in Chicago. After reassignment to New Orleans, he again taught philosophy and theology at Dominican College and at the Carmelite Junior College and St. Joseph's Junior College. The last years of his life were spent at St. Dominic's in semi-retirement although he remained available for counselling, retreats, and occasional preaching engagements.


FATHER THOMAS HUMBERT DAILEY

Thomas Humbert DaileyFather Thomas Humbert Da iley was born in Penfield, Illinois on January 2, 1902. He attended local rural elementary schools and graduated from Penfield's St. Lawrence Academy in 1921. Afterwards he worked on the family farm in Penfield until he began his college studies at Providence College in 1927.

He entered the novitiate at St. Rose, Springfield, and made profession there on August 15, 1930. He continued his studies for the priesthood in River Forest, Somerset, and Washington, D.C., where he was ordained in St. Dominic's Church on June 10, 1936.

Father Dailey's first assignment was as a parish assistant at St. Pius in Chicago where he served until January, 1941 when he was asked to be temporary procurator of the House of Studies in River Forest. In September, 1941 he began working on the Western Mission Band and continued with that task until 1949, when he was appointed pastor of St. Helena's in Amite, Louisiana. From 1955 until 1957, he was superior and assistant pastor in Holy Rosary, Minneapolis.

In 1957, Father Dailey was assigned to Holy Rosary, Houston, where he served in the parish and in local hospitals and convalescent homes until his last illness forced him to curtail his activities. He died on May 5, 1972. Funeral and burial services were held in Houston.


FATHER MARCELLUS JOHN FRANCIS NUGENT

Marcellus John NugentFather Marcellus John Francis Nugent was born on July 30, 1902 in Whitman, Massachusetts. He attended St. Mary's Grade School and St. Mary's Academy in Milford, Massachusetts. He completed his secondary education and began his first-year college studies at Aquinas High School and Aquinas College in Columbus, Ohio.

After a year at Providence College, he began his novitiate at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, on August 15, 1923. His first year of philosophical studies was taken at St. Rose, Springfield, with the second and third years continued at the newly completed House of Studies in River Forest, Illinois. Theological studies followed in Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 16, 1930. After a year of post-ordination theological studies, he moved to St. Dominic's Priory in Washington while he pursued graduate work in the social sciences at Catholic University, receiving his master's degree in Labor Economics in 1932.

Father Nugent was first assigned to Fenwick High School where he taught the social sciences and religion from 1932 until 1941. He also served as Fenwick's librarian for two years while continuing with further graduate studies in Business Law and Economic Geography at Chicago's De Paul University. From 1941-1942 he worked as assistant pastor at Holy Trinity Parish in Chicago. At the same time he was appointed Provincial Director of the Holy Name Society. From 1942 until 1943, he lived at St. Pius Priory where he worked with the Central Mission Band while continuing to direct local Holy Name groups and to write a monthly labor column for The National Holy Name Journal.

In 1945, he was appointed pastor and superior of St. Albert's in Minneapolis, where he served until 1954 when he became Director of the Southern Mission Band with residence at St. Anthony of Padua Priory in New Orleans. Upon the request of the Provincial Chapter in 1960, he was granted the title of Preacher General on November 11, 1960. From 1964 until 1969, he also served as a member of the Provincial Council.

In 1968, Father Nugent became chaplain to the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of the Infant Jesus in Lufkin, Texas, a position which he fulfilled with great affection until his death on July 3, 1972. At the request of the Monastery community, special permission was granted by Rome allowing his burial in the cloister cemetery.


FATHER WALTER JAMES CONWAY

Walter James ConwayFather Walter James Conway was born in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, on December 12, 1908 and received his primary and secondary education at the Cathedral School and his college studies at Columbus College there. He entered the Order at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky, where he made profession on August 16, 1930. Studies for the priesthood followed at River Forest, Somerset, and Washington, D.C., where he was ordained on June 10, 1936, in St. Dominic's Church.

For two years he served as an assistant at Holy Rosary, Minneapolis, and for one year at St. Vincent Ferrer in New York City. With the establishment of the Province of St. Albert, he was named Director of the Society for Vocational Support. After ten years, he was appointed pastor and superior of Holy Name parish in Kansas City, Missouri. When his term of office ended, he served as a member of the Mid-Western Mission Band. He also gave many retreats to clergy and religious. Father Conway was director of the Mission Band for twelve years, and in 1960 he was awarded the title of Preacher General. For several years during this period lie was also Provincial Promoter of the Holy Naine Society and Director of St. Dominic's Mission Society.

In late 1971 his health began to fail. After a short illness he died in McKennon Hospital in Sioux Falls, South Dakota on September 22, 1972. Following services at the Cathedral in Sioux Falls and at St. Vincent Ferrer in River Forest where he was last assigned, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


FATHER VICTOR HUMBERT WROBLESKI

Victor Humbert WrobleskiFather Victor Humbert Wrobleski was born on March 19, 1903 in Lemont, Illinois and was baptized on March 22 in Lemont's Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church. His early schooling took place at St. Pius V Grammar School and Quigley Preparatory Seminary in Chicago.

Upon completion of studies at Providence College in 1925, he made his novitiate and first profession at St. Rose Priory, Springfield, Kentucky. Following philosophical and theological studies at River Forest, Illinois, Somerset, Ohio, and Washington, D.C., he was ordained in St. Dominic's Church in Washton on May 20, 1932.

In the early fall of 1933, Father Wrobleski was sent on a special assignment to Lithuania to join the newly formed mission band from St. Joseph's Province. He worked as a preacher-missionary throughout Lithuania until war broke out in 1939.

After his return to the United States, he joined the new Province of St. Albert the Great and was assigned to St. Pius in Chicago. From 1940 until 1942 he served at Mater Dolorosa in Independence, Louisiana, and St. Helena in Amite, Louisiana. In 1943 he returned to St. Pius until 1945 when he was assigned to Holy Name Parish in Kansas City, Missouri. In 1949 he served as chaplain and religion instructor at Benedictine Heights College in Guthrie, Oklahoma until the following year when he was named the first Dominican pastor and superior at Sacred Heart Church in Mangum, Oklahoma.

In 1954 Father Wrobleski was assigned as assistant pastor to St. Joseph's Church in Ponchatoula, Louisiana and served there until 1963 when he began a five-year assignment at St. Dominic's Church in New Orleans. In 1968 he returned to his native parish, St. Pius in Chicago, where he worked until late 1972 when serious illness forced him to retire to Heritage Manor Convalescent Home in Dubuque, Iowa. He died there of a heart attack on January 28, 1973. Following services at St. Pius Church in Chicago, he was buried at All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois.


FATHER JOSEPH SYLVESTER CONSIDINE

Joseph Sylvester ConsidineFather Joseph Sylvester Considine was born on May 20, 1893 in Escanaba, Michigan where he attended primary and secondary public schools. After studying at Aquinas College in Columbus, Ohio, he entered the Order and made first profession at St. Joseph Priory, Somerset, Ohio, on September 18, 1913. Basic philosophical and theological studies followed at the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, D.C. where he was ordained on May 10, 1918. Soon after ordination he was sent on for special graduate studies in Sacred Scripture at the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem and the Collegio Angelico in Rome.

In 1923 he returned to Washington where he served for seven years as Master of Students at the Dominican House of Studies and as professor of Sacred Scripture and biblical languages at the Dominican Studium and at Catholic University of America.

Shortly before the foundation of the Province of St. Albert the Great in 1939, Father Considine was assigned to the House of Studies in River Forest where he continued to teach until 1965 when his health began to fail and he retired to St. Vincent Ferrer Priory in River Forest.

From the time the Province began until 1969, Fr. Considine served as a member of the Provincial Council. In 1944 he was awarded the degree of Master of Sacred Theology. In addition to his teaching duties, he was also in great demand as a retreat director for priests and religious and for his contributions to learned and ecclesiastical journals. He did the translation and commentary on the Apocalypse for the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine edition of the New Testament. He also served as President of the Catholic Biblical Association of America from 1952-1953.

After a long illness he died at Heritage Manor Convalescent Home in Dubuque, Iowa on February 3, 1973. Following funeral services at St. Vincent Ferrer Church in River Forest, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery, Des Plaines, Illinois.


BROTHER AMBROSE WILHELM JURA

Ambrose Wilhelm JuraBrother Ambrose Wilhelm Jura died on Palm Sunday, April 15, 1973 in Dubuque, Iowa. Following services at St. Rose Priory in Dubuque and St. Vincent Ferrer Church in River Forest, he was buried in All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois.

Ambrose Wilhelm Josef Jura was born in Vienna, Austria on May 15, 1890. Following miiltary service during World War I, he came to the United States and worked for several years as a waiter in the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C. In 1938 he joined the Dominican Third Order at the House of Studies in Washington. In late 1939 he applied for acceptance as a lay brother and was sent to the House of Studies in River Forest to make his postulancy and novitiate. On March 19, 1941, he made his first simple profession.

Although Brother Ambrose never made solemn profession in the Order, he remained with the community as a Tertiary and worked in the refectory in River Forest until 1965 when he moved to St. Rose Priory in Dubuque. He remained in retirement with the Dubuque community until the time of his death.